New owner: 87 Excel

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

TonyL
Junior Poster
Model: Excel/Elite project
Colour: Red/Red (for now)

New owner: 87 Excel

Post by TonyL »

Hi everyone. I thought I’d better introduce myself, as I have spent many hours enjoying reading the forum, & I expect I may become a regular here in the coming months.

In November, I bought an 87 Excel. It has recently been recommissioned by its previous owner after his dad gave it to him. Some of you may have seen, the work was documented in the thread on TLF, “1987 Lotus Excel been sat for over 15 years…”.

I’m quite busy at the moment, so I haven’t done many miles, but I’m enjoying the car so far.

Here are my Lotus credentials:

In the 60s, my dad owned a Lotus Cortina Mk1 then a Lotus Cortina Mk2 (both from new, I think). Around 1970, he bought the first of two Elan Plus 2s (both were bought as kits).

In 1977 (I was 12), at the British Grand Prix, I met Colin Chapman, Mario Andretti & Gunnar Nilsson – for just long enough to get their autographs on a picture of the JPS F1 car, which was the centre spread of the race programme.

Vague Lotus connection: in 2001 & 2002 I raced a Caterham 7 in the Caterham Academy then Roadsport B champoinships.

2003: I bought an S2 Elise, then in 2004 I bought an EliseS2 135R, which I modified & used as a track car for 10+ years

2016: I started running an Evora as my daily driver.

I replaced the Evora with an Alpine last year. The Alpine is very good, but it doesn’t have a proper gear box, which is one of the reasons I’ve bought the Excel. & I’m happy to report, the Excel gear box is an absolute joy to use. I was also inspired by a friend, who bought an S2 Esprit barn find restoration project recently. It’s a beautiful thing, & spending so long looking at it is what drove me to start researching this generation of Lotus cars.

I’m looking forward to getting to know you all in the coming months. If there’s an event near me (Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire) in the summer I’ll see if I can get along & meet a few of you.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: New owner: 87 Excel

Post by bash »

Welcome, thats a well known car on here and its nice to see its got a keen new owner.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Welcome to the forum Tony - no shortage of help and advice on here.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Yes - welcome Tony :D. Hope to meet you and your car some time.

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Welcome Tony. Your ownership decision is exactly the reverse of a member who recently left ownership, selling an Excel and buying an Alpine! I love both cars and am glad you made the right choice.

Cheers, Richard

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

Welcome, from another Tony who lives in the Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire area, has owned a 1992 Excel SE for over 20 years, and has been on this forum for years.
I'm in Yateley, so drop round if you want to chat or have any questions on your recent acquisition.

Tony

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Welcome Tony, from yet another Tony, but this ones in Northampton.
Really pleased Sparrow's cars gone to an enthusiastic new owner who's not going to lock it away for another 15 years.
Like all cars of this vintage, they just need to be used regularly and are far better for it when they are.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Welcome Tony.

I know the car. I'm the idiot in the video getting it restarted. :wink: :roll: :lol:

Stu
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

TonyL
Junior Poster
Model: Excel/Elite project
Colour: Red/Red (for now)

Post by TonyL »

Thanks for all the welcome messages, & offers of help too. I've managed one repair so far, after the wipers stopped working, but I am sure to need advice in the future, as my mechanical skills are well below the forum average (I'm keen to learn). I'm planning to keep the long thread about the car (on TLF) going with some occasional updates, but I'll ask all my stupid questions here.

@Tonypoll. I'll get in touch when I'm not so busy (that could be a couple of months away). I'm in Chobham & I work even closer to you, in Mytchett.