New Dutch Owner (sort of)

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

SDR88SE
Verified Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Black
Year: 1988

New Dutch Owner (sort of)

Post by SDR88SE »

Hello Everyone,

Before I start asking questions I thought I would introduce myself on this forum!
My name is Stijn and I have spent the last 8/9 months restoring a Lotus Excel SE from 1988 in my free time.
The car is black with a gold pinstripe and has a beige full leather interior. The car was originally bought by my father in 2000. He already had an Elite 504 which he bought a few years prior and bought the Excel, since the Elite had some issues (of course it had). We lived in Britain at the time.
We moved back to the Netherlands in late 2000 and my dad drove the Excel for about half a year until the right front brake stuck on. He put it away to fix later, but unfortunately a fulltime job and two extra children took all the time. So the car was covered up and put in a CarCoon (airbubble) in the garage for 16 years.

I am 23 now, and a complete car nut. So after saving up some money I was looking for a fun classic car, so I went to take a look at the usual suspects, the Porsche 924, the 944, and scoured the internet for every other possible option. But the Excel always was my first love and after 17 years of envious looks, in the back of my head I knew that had to be it. After discussing it with my father we decided to save this endangered species of a car and do it properly as well (though on a budget).

At the time of writing both the front and rear suspension and the brakes are almost completely disassembled, 75 procent has been sandblasted and most parts have lost their bushes. All bushes will be polyurethane. The brakes will be revised, the wheels will be powder-coated, get new tires, the engine needs work, the headlining needs renewal, and the seat leather need some refurbishing. Plus some small work with the lights, and the electrics.

I hope to get to know my fellow enthousiasts a lot better here, help others with the knowledge I am getting and get some help with the things I can't find the solution for. I also hope to come in contact with other Dutch Excel owners to see how many others there are!
Released from its prisonblock after removing most of its stuck-on brakes

First bit of 'light' (and drizzle) in 17 years
Where it is now, only without wheels or suspension...
1988 Lotus Excel SE Black with glorious Gold Pinstripe

"Project Cars, because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated"

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: New Dutch Owner (sort of)

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Hello Stijn.Welcome and a great start to your story. All the answers are here so enjoy and keep the photos flowing. Love the reg plate, Stu.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Welcome to the forum Stijn! Car looks great - not many black ones about.

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Good luck with the resto. My only comment is that I'd be wary about polybushing all the bushes as the compliance given by rubber bushes contributes to the ride quality of the car - it might end up feeling rather harsh. I think it's OK to poybush the anti-roll bar bushes.

Richard

SDR88SE
Verified Poster

Post by SDR88SE »

Thanks for the great welcome!
I am sure you'll see and hear a lot more from me!

Thanks Richard for the tip, I didn't think of it that way.
I mostly looked at the easier install, since I want to do most of it myself, and the durability since polybushes can last a lifetime.

"Project Cars, because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated"

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

SDR88SE wrote:..........and the durability since polybushes can last a lifetime.
Nice word "can" :D :D

6000 miles
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Mr E
Regular Poster

Post by Mr E »

Hi Stijn,

Whats your location?
I'm in Leiden
Santos Travelmaster 2006
Triumph sprint 1997
Dnepr (with sidecar) 1991
Lotus Excel 1986
Triumph Spitfire 1977
Triumph TR6R 1973 (the bike, not the car)

SDR88SE
Verified Poster

Post by SDR88SE »

Hey Mr E,

I'm in a village between Breda and Tilburg.
It would be great to meet up once!

escape
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1983

Post by escape »

Welkom Stijn!

Good luck with the restoration! Looks like you're gonna do a thorough job, I'm sure the result will be well worth the effort! And it's always great doing a project like that with your dad, especially if it's a car he owned. 8)

I'm not not far from you, just across the border near Antwerp. We took my Excel to Tilburg on a trip a couple of months ago. :wink:

Greetz,

Filip
I have made many mistakes in my life. Getting a Lotus wasn't one of them.