I have bought an 89 Excel SA site unseen

If you spot one, shame them into owning up!!
If you are new to the Lotus position introduce yourself here. Please try to keep your the post to your introduction and your initial question/problems to the right formum.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Will49
Junior Poster

Re: I have bought an 89 Excel SA site unseen

Post by Will49 »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 19:16
Will49 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 09:31

Can you respond to the individual messages to me as i have done? - Yes you can but they can also be edited

Many thanks
By the way, I think this will be a fabulous car for you

Stu
To be honest I am a little nervous as to its pace as I have had, some 20 odd years ago, two SE's and currently have several far faster cars as well as some far slower cars.
We will see when it arrives next Tuesday.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Will49 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 22:56

To be honest I am a little nervous as to its pace as I have had, some 20 odd years ago, two SE's and currently have several far faster cars as well as some far slower cars.
I drive my SA quite spiritedly. I'm not sure what you are aiming for but you should hit it ok
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

I'd probably swap my SE for an SA as it would give my wife, with only an auto licence, a Lotus to drive :D

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

And I'm deiberately fitting an SA gearbox to my Elite restoration, having ridden shotgun in Stu's SA during some of his spirited driving :D

Pete

Will49
Junior Poster

Post by Will49 »

Dwaynem884 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 08:45
Will49 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 09:05
Now to find a workshop and parts manual which appear to be hens teeth items. Any suggestions re this will be appreciated.
Cheers
Will
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204513656056

A service manual has been listed on eBay. The last one went for around £150 from memory.
Blimey I went to £180 and lost it....Ive never had a car that I couldn't get a workshop manual for.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Will49 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 22:56
Hawaiis0 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 19:16
Will49 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 09:31

Can you respond to the individual messages to me as i have done? - Yes you can but they can also be edited

Many thanks
By the way, I think this will be a fabulous car for you

Stu
I took my SA on a track day at Castle Coombe this year, previously done it in a SE and and an Elan M100. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it went - I did control the shifts with the gear lever, but that was easy.
On the straights I was outpaced by newer cars, but on the corners, not so much. I had a VX220 turbo overtake me between Folly and Avon Rise, but I kept pace going around Quarry until he span exiting the corner!!

Will49
Junior Poster

Post by Will49 »

Many thanks for all the responses re having an SA as opposed to an SE.
I had two SE's several decades ago and some would say i'm trying a bit of reliving my youth.
At 74 yes maybe slowing down a little but still have a racing license and now only do sprints and hill climbs and it will be interesting to see what she is like for these.

She arrives on Monday, off course i'll be in London so wont see her, arrive which is a pity but will dash down and get the file on here work histoty which I am told is extensive.

I have put aside £3-5K to do whatever is needed and if not too much will look at Fuel Injection and a crank ignition system....Any recommendations on these would be muxg appreciated.

Cant wait to see what she is really like as opposed to photos.

Will

barker_001
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

Will49 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 21:23
Many thanks to all who responde. Ive downloaded the Parts list which will no dobt be very useful.
I need to figure out how I upload some photos...advice on this please.
Going by its last MOT advisory there is a leak on the exhaust flexy , a rear baring rumple and rear discs are tired.
Is the flexy repairable or is it a new exhaust?
I need to get it up on a ramp and have a good look when I get her thats for sure.
Whatever she is it will be fun I'm sure.
Will
Welcome to the madhouse Will! :D

Concerning what sounds like rear wheel bearing rumble and worn out rear brakes, take a look at this thread:

https://lotusexcel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... ng#p102189

It could be that all you need to do is get the rear calipers overhauled. This seems to be a common symptom of partially seized calipers in need of a rebuild, at least 3 of us have had it. A few places list calipers for sale but no-one actually seems to have them in stock, so you may need to overhaul your own. Much easier than rear wheel bearings though, so worth a try if the discs are in need of replacement too.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

TonyL
Junior Poster
Model: Excel/Elite project
Colour: Red/Red (for now)

Post by TonyL »

Will49 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 13:15

I have put aside £3-5K to do whatever is needed and if not too much will look at Fuel Injection and a crank ignition system....Any recommendations on these would be muxg appreciated.

Will
You should speak to Mike Taylor at Lotusbits. Lotusbits is a well established company with a good reputation. They'll sell you an FI kit, or do the work for you. Before Mike launched Lotusbits his job was designing ignition systems for Lucas.

Will49
Junior Poster

Post by Will49 »

May thanks Tony I will talk to Lotusbits re the FI.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

Apologies for the tardy reply...
I had LotusBits fit mapped ignition to my Excel some 12 years ago. They used a DTA Fast ECU. It's great. Never had a problem and it makes driving around town much easier since the engine is more responsive at low revs.
I considered getting LotusBits to fit injection at the same time but decided to stick with carbs. I still think that was a good decision since carbs are fine and injection does not buy you any more power.

Tony