Club Lotus Castle Combe Track Day 26th May 2018

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Club Lotus Castle Combe Track Day 26th May 2018

Post by Alan_M »

Hi, I have just booked to go on this. Are there any other members booked in for this?

It will be my first track day, so any advice on preparation, what to bring etc, would be good.
I will be checking through brakes and tuning carbs to make sure it at least goes and stops :)

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Club Lotus Castle Combe Track Day 26th May 2018

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

If you are going to do 1G cornering then overfill the sump a tad. Do the sump oil level check 1 to 2 minutes after stopping the engine and before it has warmed-up completely. Fill to a millimeter over the HIGH level. You don't want too much oil that you get windage, but better that than momentary oil stavation in a 1G corner @ 6000 rpm!

Also remember that at high rpm the amount of oil in the cam boxes will be significant (due to high oil flow at high rpm) and that oil has to find it's way back to the sump! So make sure the oil is warmed up throughly so it flows well before giving it the beans on the track.

Make sure your oil cooler is doing its job too! To be safe, change the oil (and filter) before and after the track day to make sure you have oil that remains within spec.
Peter K

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

I'm looking at coming along for the event, although I don't intend to take part in the track day. Is there any form of booking needed or admission fee for this, there doesn't appear to be anything mentioned in Club Lotus News.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

barker_001 wrote:I'm looking at coming along for the event, although I don't intend to take part in the track day. Is there any form of booking needed or admission fee for this, there doesn't appear to be anything mentioned in Club Lotus News.
No just turn up. Track runners need to pay for their track time (£100 ish). All get a free run at lunch, and possibly a late run in the afternoon if all quiet
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

barker_001
Senior Poster

Post by barker_001 »

Thanks Stu, that sounds like a good day out. And not too far from me either.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:If you are going to do 1G cornering then overfill the sump a tad. Do the sump oil level check 1 to 2 minutes after stopping the engine and before it has warmed-up completely. Fill to a millimeter over the HIGH level. You don't want too much oil that you get windage, but better that than momentary oil stavation in a 1G corner @ 6000 rpm!

Also remember that at high rpm the amount of oil in the cam boxes will be significant (due to high oil flow at high rpm) and that oil has to find it's way back to the sump! So make sure the oil is warmed up throughly so it flows well before giving it the beans on the track.

Make sure your oil cooler is doing its job too! To be safe, change the oil (and filter) before and after the track day to make sure you have oil that remains within spec.
Thanks for the advice and sorry I've been a bit slow in replying.

I am going treat her to a full fluids change. I have invested in some Millers nanodrive CFS 10w60 synthetic for the engine oil, K&N filter and Millers CRX 75w90 NT+ competition synthetic gearbox oil. I will also be changing the diff oil and brake fluid.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs, but...
When attempting to change the diff and gearbox oil I found the drain and filler plugs were EXTREMELY tight, and probably had never been touched since the car left the factory.
After a lot of faffing around I took my car to the local garage where they put it up on a ramp and loosened off the plugs with a very big breaker bar and tight fitting socket. 5 minutes and £5 into their Christmas party fund.
Just don't do what my friend did with one of his cars - remove the drain plug only to find he couldn't undo the filler plug!

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Post by Sirclip »

Hi Alan, I did the track day last year and just made sure that all the levels were OK before. I did have a few problems with the brakes afterwards though, but I was doing some hefty braking. I think that the problem was brake pad/disc 'glazing', so the brakes weren't their best on the way home. It may be worth taking a sheet of 60 grit emery paper, just in case you need to rub the discs over afterwards, but unless you give the brakes a pasting as I did, you probably won't have the same issue.
Martin.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

I suffered brake fade on the Croft weekend organised by this forum - resulting in a trip into an adjacent field and the consequent "Farmer Richard" nickname!

I swore when I next did a track day I would fit some better pads - probably not full-race-spec but something intermediate, depending on what is available out there.

However, I recently watch an interesting interview with a guy who runs track days in Ireland, who said that brake fade is more often caused by overheating of the brake fluid, so money is better invested in racing brake fluid.

To be on the safe side, I intend to do both!

Interview with the track day organiser can be found here, starting about 17:45, in episode 20 of Soup, my favourite car restoration Youtube show.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

+1 for the brake fluid overheating.

I've always had this problem with my Esprit on Track Days - can only last about 4-5 laps of Goodwood and Hethel before the fade kicks in.
My Excel at Hethel didn't seem to suffer as badly, but it was still there.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster

Post by chrisw2811 »

Rick and I plan to be there - yellow one and a red one. Older daughter is keen to come along and drive the Excel on track, so might be a family group if I can sort the insurance. Fresh brake fluid this weekend!
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

chrisw2811 wrote:.......Fresh brake fluid this weekend!
Just refreshed my fluids and Marshall's Second Law took effect - Don't dabble the week before an event :roll: Bleed nipple was corroded and would not shut off :cry:

Luckily I had 2 spares :lol: :lol:

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Just refreshed my fluids and Marshall's Second Law took effect - Don't dabble the week before an event :roll: Bleed nipple was corroded and would not shut off :cry:

Don't say that - I'm going to be changing mine this week. Debating whether to go with DOT 5 plus or proper competition stuff. Also whether to fit some up rated pads. Let's hope I can avoid Marshall's law. :D

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Alan_M wrote:..Debating whether to go with DOT 5 plus or proper competition stuff. Also whether to fit some up rated pads. Let's hope I can avoid Marshall's law. :D
I take it by DOT 5 plus you mean DOT 5.1? Standard is DOT 4

Since DOT 4 and 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids they are compatible with each other, which means they can be readily mixed without harming your brake system. It is important never to mistake DOT 5.1 (glycol-based) with DOT 5 which is silicone-based and should never be mixed with any other DOT fluid.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

Hawaiis0 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tc_CGyBvNg#t=3m13s
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!