To never forget

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rs blu
Regular Poster
Model: Excel se
Colour: monaco white
Year: 1988

To never forget

Post by rs blu »

I did that street,few tens of km from my house, for years and at a crossroads I always saw a sign with BRITISH CEMETERY written on it.
I always said I have to go, but the years go by and there's always an excuse.
But yesterday, I was at home alone and I wanted to use the Esprit (it had been stopped for some time, in the last period I often use Excel).
I didn't know exactly where to go, I wanted to go for a ride, so I remembered and I went to visit the TEZZE BRITISH CEMETERY.
It is a cemetery from the First World War, 355 soldiers rest, 344 are British and one is Canadian.
Almost all died the same day on October 24, 1918 while fighting allies with Italian soldiers against the Austrians.
I think I did well to go, I was born in the very early seventies, and wars seem far away but thinking about it, not many years have passed. Many of those soldiers died very young, and when I was born they wouldn't have been probably very old. ..
Thanks

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/ce ... 20Cemetery
Last edited by rs blu on Fri Jun 14, 2019 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: To never forget

Post by bash »

Well said. The cemetery looks very well kept too.

Thanks

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

bash wrote:Well said. The cemetery looks very well kept too.

Thanks

Bash
All Thanks to Commonwealth War Graves Commission IIRC and the locals employed there after. :)
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Some who experience the war tried purposely to forget. Fate (good luck and bad) played a huge part in survival.

The older half (3 brothers and 1 sister) of my family of 8 sibs endured the Coventry Blitz. During one raid, the younger of the brothers (as a baby) had whooping cough so my mum took him to a different air raid shelter where babes were already infected as she didn't want to infect healthy babes within her regular shelter. That night her regular shelter was wiped out by incendiary bombs! So if it wasn't for my brother having whooping cough I wouldn't have been born, neither would 3 of my sisters also born after the war. My mum didn't talk about the identity of the victims within her regular shelter... she probably wanted to forget.
Peter K