Oliver Winterbottom at Woodfordes Show, Woodbastwick

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Oliver Winterbottom at Woodfordes Show, Woodbastwick

Post by richardw »

Below is an account of Oliver's visit to this show on 21 September, which he has asked me to post as it will be of interest to members here.

Saturday 21 September I visit the Woodfordes Classic Cars & Automobile Show at their Fur and Feather pub, Woodbastwick, Norfolk. Getting to it proved challenging as the new Norwich northern bypass was closed where it joined the A47. Luckily local knowledge solved the problem via Blofield and the narrow road north, helpfully named Woodbastwick Road.

Woodfordes Brewery housed in listed converted barns produced its first commercial brew in 1981. In 1996 their Wherry Bitter became CAMRA Supreme Champion Beer of Britain. By the end of 2017, Woodforde's was established as the largest brewery in Norfolk, producing over 20,000 barrels every year. The Classic Show is first event that Woodfordes Brewery have organised and is being held in a field behind the Fur & Feather brewery tap and pub. When I arrive its obviously very well supported with plenty of cars, motor bikes and commercial vehicles on display.

The Fur and Feather, Woodbastwick, Norfolk

Under a blue sky in pleasantly warm 23 Deg. temperature I walk to the display field, pausing to contribute to the chosen charity the East Anglian Air Ambulance. Entry to the show is free of charge.

There were a number of Lotus cars in various parts of the show including Elans, Esprit, Evora, Elise but I am looking for a beautiful, (well I would say that)! Lotus Elite. And then I spied a red Elite parked near the distant rear field hedge.

At first I assumed this was my “target car” but when circulating it I then spied another Elite hidden on the other side of the Volkswagen van thing. Upon arriving beside this beautiful blue Elite I was spotted by its owner, Rob Borrett, PR Manager for Lotus Cars.

Rob and his immaculate Lotus Elite

I found it so fitting that a current manager of the company had such a superb example of one of its products dating back 45 years. Rob asked me if I could autograph my name in the engine bay,which I both could - and - did.

Rob and I had a good chat and I met his family. He was obviously very impressed with the new current management of Lotus. My experience with Geely when I was in China also gives me confidence the future of Lotus is in good hands.

The rear view of Rob Borrett’s Lotus Elite

By 12:30 the display field was busy

I supplied Rob with a copy of my book A Life in Car Design and signed it for him. I asked if he could consider helping publicise it - but only after reading it and finding it acceptable!

I set off for home with a major detour round Norwich, very impressed with both the show and meeting Rob. I hope we keep in touch and i am ready to assist the company if I can.

Oliver Winterbottom

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Oliver Winterbottom at Woodfordes Show, Woodbastwick

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

That's great news and great PR for the ELITE! :D

I notice the PR man has an S reg Elite (same as my old deceased Elite). So that will be the best of the 2 litre engines specs with the D cams... an original spec chassis, rear wiper at the bottom, no 2.2 body updates (spoilers, rear bumper) original alloy wheels - he has chosen well. :)

I can't see which option he has -mine was a 501 (no PAS or ACon) - which brings slightly better performance with weight savings plus meaty, communicative, steering.... just hope he carries a spare clutch cable! :lol:
Peter K

don.hasi
Senior Poster
Model: Eclat S2.2 Riviera
Colour: Black
Year: 1982

Post by don.hasi »

Very nice write up and as usual with a story line only Mr Winterbottom will happen.

I am very curious about his journey to Geely. Do we know something more of this?
ImageImageImageImageImage

kkv444v
Regular Poster
Model: Ex-Excel
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by kkv444v »

In his book, Oliver writes about his time working in China circa 2004 and this included a short period with London taxi, "working with the Geely Group".