NEC Classic Motor Show 2022 11-13 November

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

NEC Classic Motor Show 2022 11-13 November

Post by richardw »

Once again, we have a stand at this event, following last year’s success.

We aim to project an image to reflect the elegance, efficiency and performance of the Elite, Eclat and Excel, with stand carpeting and using the Lotus ‘silent salesman’ displays so kindly donated by Roddy Michael earlier this year.

This year is the 40th anniversary of the launch of the Excel back in 1982, and will be one of the focal points of our display. If you have an early Excel or an SE/SA in nice condition, and you would like to show it, this could be your chance - please reply on this thread so we can assess the applications. We’d like to show one of each.

Similarly, we are looking for a nice Elite to join the lovely Eclat that has already been offered. This Eclat has featured in recent Lotus launch events and looks stunning - we are very lucky that the owner has volunteered the car.

Logistics for show cars mean that you should be able to deliver the car to the NEC on 10 November, and take it home either on the evening of Sunday 13 November or the following day, and be available to join us on the stand for at least part of the duration of the show.

There will be limited free passes available for exhibitors and stand helpers, as before, together with limited NEC car park passes.

Otherwise you can find out more about the show here: https://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/

I will also post information here on how to purchase show tickets using the club discount code, which will provided to registered forum members.

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: NEC Classic Motor Show 2022 11-13 November

Post by rbgosling »

Hi - as usual I am up for stand assistance and/or providing a car for display.

Following the roof lining exploits at the Resto show in March (which I still have to finish off!), and the re-upholstering of the seats (photos will be posted when I find a moment to do so), Lillith is looking way tidier than she did this time last year. However I certainly wouldn't pretend it's the finest example in our group. On the flip side, because it's not perfect then I can afford not to be precious about how it's treated, so I'm always happy to let visitors climb in, see how comfortable/spacious a Lotus can be, including proving how viable the rear seats are for children. We can see what other options are offered, I won't be offended if refused!

I like the way you are going with the "feel" we are going for on the stand. Very appropriate to our Grand Tourers, and gives a little contrast to the other Lotus cars.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by pistolpete »

rbgosling wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:08
Hi - as usual I am up for stand assistance and/or providing a car for display.

Following the roof lining exploits at the Resto show in March (which I still have to finish off!), and the re-upholstering of the seats (photos will be posted when I find a moment to do so), Lillith is looking way tidier than she did this time last year. However I certainly wouldn't pretend it's the finest example in our group. On the flip side, because it's not perfect then I can afford not to be precious about how it's treated, so I'm always happy to let visitors climb in, see how comfortable/spacious a Lotus can be, including proving how viable the rear seats are for children. We can see what other options are offered, I won't be offended if refused!

I like the way you are going with the "feel" we are going for on the stand. Very appropriate to our Grand Tourers, and gives a little contrast to the other Lotus cars.
Sounds perfect to me

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

"elegance, efficiency and performance"
Suit, tie and running shoes then is it ?

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

Hi, I would be happy to bring / display my 1979 Gold Elite S1 if wanted. As has been said before it is an unrestored, far from immaculate example that has been in 'regular' use since new with repairs etc. when required, 160k miles, so may or may not not suit approach for the stand. It was featured in 6 pages of Feb / March 2022 'Absolute Lotus' Mag very much in the 'survivor and still used' ethos and will be on the Winterbottom Run for viewing if that helps decide. The main 'cosmetic issues' are tatty bumpers and very poor brown vinyl roof showing 40+ years of 'life'. Mechanically okay: original but rebuilt 2 litre and 'Maxi' gearbox. Chassis replaced by Miles Wilkins in 1998 with (supposedly) the last 'Lotus' galvanized one.

richardw

Post by richardw »

Thanks guys for your offers. We now seem to have a strong hand of four Grand Tourers available with a couple of options. Look forward to seeing your Elite on the Winterbottom Run, Andy! Should be able to confirm everything by then.

Cheers, Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

We’ve had a bit of a setback - the Eclat we were hoping for now won’t be coming.

If anyone has a nice Eclat they would like to show at the NEC in November, please get in touch.

Thanks, Richard

richardw

Post by richardw »

richardw wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 08:49
We’ve had a bit of a setback - the Eclat we were hoping for now won’t be coming.

If anyone has a nice Eclat they would like to show at the NEC in November, please get in touch.

Thanks, Richard
Problem solved - we now have a lovely white S2.2 Eclat for the stand.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Excellent! Whose is it? Does it have a vinyl roof I can look at?? :D

Pete

richardw

Post by richardw »

Pete Boole wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 17:43
Excellent! Whose is it? Does it have a vinyl roof I can look at?? :D

Pete
Yes it does have a vinyl roof!

richardw

Post by richardw »

Ok now we have the full complement of cars confirmed and know our ticket allocation, there is a limited number of passes available to anyone who would like to come along and help on the stand, as well as look round the show. Please let me know if you would like to participate.

Cheers, Richard

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I notice they have changed the way the passes are given out. They won't come in the post anymore we have to collect them.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

igg-hiss
Senior Poster

Post by igg-hiss »

Richard, I am happy to help out, but would only want wristbands if I can be of use to the Grand Tourers. Otherwise I’m happy to use a code for discount and see you all in there. Ian
The Lotus Eclat, a lot like the English Whisky company: comes from Norfolk and better than you are often told it is.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Happy to assist. Currently flexible on which days.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Also, available to carry Igg's Luggage
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!