NEC Restoration Show - Call to help man the stand

Any social or anti-social get togethers, track days, shows, stag nights etc. that may be of interest to members. The occational blast down the road, or trip down to the local.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

NEC Restoration Show - Call to help man the stand

Post by rbgosling »

Good morning all!

The Lotus Grand Tourers stand at the NEC Restoration Show will need some willing volunteers to help man/woman the stand across the three days of the show 24-26 March.

We should have 6 tickets per day (although we can redistribute across the days), we might get some bonus tickets if people have been using the club link to buy tickets. Priority to Matt Oxley, myself, and (maybe) Pistol Pete who are bringing cars/exhibits, but still opportunity for others to lend a hand.

This will get you free entry to the show - we ask that you spend at least half your time on the club stand, but there will still be plenty of time to wander around and enjoy the rest of the show. There is also a limited number of free parking passes if needed.

If you've not helped out at the show before, I can reassure you that it requires no special skills, and it would be great to have someone beyond those who turn up most regularly. Just hang around the stand, chat to members of the public who are visiting the stand and are curious about our cars and the projects we are working on (we will explain all!), and eat biscuits. No doubt I, and maybe Matt and Pete too, will ask for a hand with our projects from time to time, so plenty of opportunity to get involved with the hands-on projects that make this show so different to others.

Post here if you are interested, and which days you can attend, and I'll put together some sort of schedule.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: NEC Restoration Show - Call to help man the stand

Post by richardw »

Hi Richard,

I probably need to be there Sunday anyway to take the show equipment home ready to use at the NEC in Autumn, so would appreciate a car park pass if possible. Can be there other days if needed or there are spare tickets, but would travel on the train.

Cheers, Richard

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Hi Richard. More than happy to help over all three show days. Also happy to give a hand with your dash if you need it and any other work going on on the stand.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

My treatment plan has just changed and it looks like the first part won't be until the end of May/early June, so I'm happy to man the stand for a couple of days. Is anyone else staying locally overnight?

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Richard, Alan, Pete, many thanks. Yes, Richard, good point about collecting all the stand equipment! I'll see who else sticks their hand up before putting together a provisional timetable - still not clear if Pistol Pete will be able to bring his engine to work on.
"Farmer" Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I've just booked into the Genting for the Friday night, so plan to be there Friday (as early as trains from Nottingham allow) and Saturday :D

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I am available for all 3 days. Can do all 3 or just put me in for 1 - whatever suits you. Happy to stand down if some 'new' folks what to do it. Do you need help on build up day?
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Richard : I'd be happy to help out if needed.
Could do any day including Thursday if it helps you movements. Maybe not Friday unless you're short.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

If you need to source an engine etc to display you could ask Lotusbits, as long as they don’t bring their sign! They will need a couple of exhibitor tickets if you decide to do this.

Cheers, Richard

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

Thanks all. I'll be chatting to Matt Oxley this weekend, so I'll see what passes he needs, then I'll work out the distribution of the remaining passes to the other volunteers.
"Farmer" Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I'm sorry to say that since my treatment plan has changed again I won't be able to attend :(

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

If that's good news for your treatment, then I'm totally happy to struggle through without your help. The offer is much appreciated, but you get yourself well!
"Farmer" Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Yep - good news for my treatment. Thanks!

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster

Post by rbgosling »

OK, finally getting a few things organised.

I invited LotusBits to come along and put some stuff on the stands, but on this occasion they have declined, both Mike and Dave have obligations elsewhere so they can't manage to send anyone to the show and keep the shop going.

We have 5 on the stand for Friday, and 6 for Saturday and Sunday, which is excellent. We should aim to have three or more on the stand at any moment while the show is open, so that means you're welcome to spend up to half your time exploring the rest of the show if you fancy.

The rota for the stand looks as follows:

Code: Select all

Thursday          Friday          Saturday           Sunday
Richard Gosling            X                X                X                 X
Matthew Oxley              X                X                X                 X
Jake Oxley                 X                X                X                 X
Richard Woollaston                                                             X
Alan McKenzie                               X                X
Phil Tanz                  ?                X                X                 X
Tony Dakin                 ?                                 X                 X
Phil, Tony - for set-up day your presence and help would be very welcome, but if it's not convenient or you just have something you'd rather do I'm sure Matt, Jake and I can do what needs doing, it's up to you.

Phil - could you PM me your 'phone number in case we need to get hold of each other? I have everyone else's.

Opening times are as follows. There's no need to be there the second it opens if that doesn't work for you, the first hour tends to be quieter anyway - particularly on Sunday as that's when Summer Time starts, so people are less likely to be up and about at 9:00 as they would normally! If you do arrive before it opens, I think we can get in from an hour or so before the official opening time.
  • Friday 10:00 - 5:30
  • Saturday 9:00 - 6:00
  • Sunday 9:00 - 5:00
Parking - Off the top of my head I can't recall how many car park passes we get, I'd better check when I get home. Richard W needs one on Sunday. I don't need one at all as the show car is also my transport home, and in-between I'll be taking the train. If anyone else needs/wants a pass let me know, and I'll allocate what we have appropriately. I have an idea that we can get away without paying to park on Thursday for set-up, but I'll have to double-check this.

I'll find out how we actually get hold of wristbands, parking passes, and work out how to distribute them.

Any other questions, anything you think I've missed, ask here or PM me.
Last edited by rbgosling on Fri Mar 03, 2023 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Farmer" Richard

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Richard - phone number sent by PM
If its the same as the November show the new arrangement is for you to go to the organisers office on Thursday and collect the passes. Have you got access to the exhibitors guide? All the info you need is in there.
I usually give out the passes to the people who help on Thursday then Friday-Sunday, any helpers phone when they arrive at the hall and I come out and give them their passes.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!