Waistline Trim

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Waistline Trim

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Any tips on removal procedure for replacement of the waistline rubber?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

John
Regular Poster

Re: Waistline Trim

Post by John »

I've started this job on my 1985 built SE, the trim on the body joint is coming away by itself so I think that won't put up much of a fight. Pronbably best done on a warm day after the sun has softened up the plastic.

The part that has put up a fight is the plastic strip under the trim on the doors, the bit that was screwed on using screws that rust! I found it impossible to unscrew them because the heads had corroded, so I had to resort to snapping it off bit by bit. I found that I could hold the strip with pliers and by waggling up and down it would eventually come away with a horrible cracking sound. It felt like a lousy method but I couldn't see any other way, and the strip came off in about ten separate pieces! Almost impossible without some minor damage to the underlying paint, but I reckon the new trim will hide that after some filing and touch up painting.

I then found that in addition to using screws that rust they also used double sided adhesive tape that is extremely hard to shift - have yet to finish the job but it looks like I need to soften the glue residue with solvent before scraping it off, or I may just pop rivet the new strip on and leave the tape in situ.

I got my trim from SJ Sportscars and Steve has posted some detailed notes on how to fit and finsh this job, which is going to help.

Good luck

John

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Waistline Trim

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Thanks John, great info.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!