Headlining

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

AndyD
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Re: Headlining

Post by AndyD »

I've got the pleated Lotusbits one in mine which is nice, but wow that's going to be proper nice in leather đź‘Ť

Look forward to seeing pictures when completed.

Andy

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Pete Boole wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 21, 2020 19:14
It's going to smell fab in your car when it's been done!
Especially with the sun on the roof! :D

Oh yeah I forgot, sun visors will be done too. Eventually red carpet with sand leather piping...no sure if it would be appropriate to do carpet trim in leather ..but there will be leather waste associated with the roof re-lining, so might as well.
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Will you guy's stop finding me new projects. I've got my hands full with lacquer repairs and de-browning (sorry de-golding) the inside trim :!: :!:
Hadn't given much thought to the roof lining, sun visors and pillar internal trims until this week. Truth is , I'd never really looked up.
Now I'm seeing things that just need addressing, not least the sun visors.

... I'll never get back to the Elite at this rate.... :(

It's all good fun though. And it's still 3 1/2 years before the 50 anniversary of the Elite which HAS to be the must hit target. - Maybe a year earlier for any shake down. :D

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Yes Tony, but before Elite 50 it's the 40th anniversary of the Excel (2022) and you must be ready for that!

Something always pops up to get in the way...

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Slight thread deviation: Remind me - is the A-post trim in the Excel glued to the A-post like it is in the Elite, or is there a removable cover - I can't remember now? :roll:

Pete

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

Mine is glued on whxh makes getting the parts up against the windscreen difficult to re-glue.
What car is that?

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

My A posts don't need recovering ..but do they need to be removed in order to remove other roof lining trims (like the sun visor header rail) ?
Peter K

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 21, 2020 22:03
My A posts don't need recovering ..but do they need to be removed in order to remove other roof lining trims (like the sun visor header rail) ?
You don’t need to touch the A post trim to remove the section with the sun visors. You need to pop the cover off the base of the mirror and remove the screws. Also beneath the sun visors you will see some screws - 2 each side - remove. Then pull back the door seal at the top as there are 2 tangs each side that are held between the seal and body. That’s it.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Alan_M wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 21, 2020 22:36
You don’t need to touch the A post trim to remove the section with the sun visors. You need to pop the cover off the base of the mirror and remove the screws. Also beneath the sun visors you will see some screws - 2 each side - remove. Then pull back the door seal at the top as there are 2 tangs each side that are held between the seal and body. That’s it.
Thanks Alan. :D
I'll pass that info on to Heritage Classics - once they find a colour match for the Sand leather.
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Peter : Did your leather roof lining progress?
Not that I need another project, but as most of the interior is out of my car at present, and the lining is sagging, it might make sense for a bit of spec creep.

Tony

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

MetBlue wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 21:41
Peter : Did your leather roof lining progress?
Not that I need another project, but as most of the interior is out of my car at present, and the lining is sagging, it might make sense for a bit of spec creep.

Tony
Not yet Tony.

Heritage Classics dragged their feet (too busy :roll: ) over getting a leather colour match (Sand leather) from their usual suppliers only later in the year to find they didn't have a match, so they passed the task of matching back to me!

I eventually got a good sample match from MARTRIM after sending them a very small piece of mine from under the driver's seat. Then the latest lockdown struck and I lost momentum and enthusiasm.

It will happen.

That said, I haven't driven any of my classics since Oct / Nov 2020, nor have I been in the garage .... other than to get my push bike bike out on Sundays for the usual club run.
I drove to Cornwall in the Camper a few days before the Christmas lockdown and the return journey was the last time I've driven any vehicle!

Maybe I'll reignite the flame of enthusiasm this month (but then it depends on how Heritage Classics reacts when I contact them).
Peter K

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

The enthusiasm will return as soon as we can all restart a more normal life and get some meetings again.
Thanks for the update. I'll get thinking about my next steps.
Tony

Skyedriver
Regular Poster

Post by Skyedriver »

The wee tangs, are they necessary? I'm in the process of a roof re-trim and these are pop rivetted to the fibreglass very close to the edge making the sticking of the material difficult. The side rail is held at the B post trim and fixed at the front.

Skyedriver
Regular Poster

Post by Skyedriver »

The wee tangs, are they necessary? I'm in the process of a roof re-trim and these are pop rivetted to the fibreglass very close to the edge making the sticking of the material difficult. The side rail is held at the B post trim and fixed at the front.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

I did my roof over the earlier summer and didn't have the wee tangs on my car. As you say, front is held by screws and rear sits over the B post.

Tony