Boot lock issues

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Zag
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1986

Boot lock issues

Post by Zag »

I noticed my boot was sticking when trying to open so decided to investigate. What I found was the cam on the internal end of the lock barrel that holds the lever to the lock had worn away. This resulted in an insufficient arc on the lever when the barrel twisted to move the latch far enough to release the catch on the boot fully. Good job I caught it when I did, a bit more wear and I would have been locked out of the boot with no other option than to drill the lock out.

I tried to reshape the metal on the barrel cam using a punch and chisel which proved that this was the issue bit unfortunately only lasted for a few openings.

What I intend to do now is to tap the end of the barrel and fashion something that will not allow any slip between the barrel and lever. This means that I will not be able to leave my boot unlocked but I never do anyway.

I will report back on how if I am successful and how managed it if I do.

You can check if you are starting to have this issue by opening the boot, leaving it in the unlocked position, removing the key and seeing if there is any rotation in the outer knob before the internal latch starts to move. It will also be evident that when at full rotation the latch will not be fully recessed.

Zag
Junior Poster

Re: Boot lock issues

Post by Zag »

I can confirm that JB weld does not work as an alternative to the metal that should be there.

Zag
Junior Poster

Re: Boot lock issues

Post by Zag »

I tried again with the JB weld, this time put a fair bit more on to start with and waited longer to ensure it had fully cured. After that re-profiled it with a needle file and it seems to work. Now I know what the warning signs are I will keep my eye on it.
I am also looking at installing a solenoid release that will act as the primary mode of release which means I will have a failsafe but this will have to wait until it warms up a bit.