Door stuck shut

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

LotusDave
Verified Poster
Model: SE
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Door stuck shut

Post by LotusDave »

Hi Chaps,

I'm at the very start of my Lotus project, so will be working on different areas to start with.

The first sticking point is the passenger door, it refuses to open. I sprayed WD40 into the latch and pulled the handle from inside while pushing on the door, nothing, Then there was a snapping noise from the latch, which I fear means it will never open!!

I managed to pull the door trim away a bit and remove a plastic cover, but with a torch I can only just see the latch inside the door casing.

Any ideas guys? I don't want to damage the door, or start levering on it.

Cheers, Dave

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Re: Door stuck shut

Post by jeff.fenton »

I've had this happen twice, both times I managed to get the door open by removing the rubbing strip that runs along the gap between the window glass and door top, (should come out with a steady upwards pull, if no-one has stuck it in place). Then used a cut up wire coat hanger, about 12" long with a 1/2" hook to fish down the gap above the door handle. Can take a while, but the click/door opening relief is directly proportionate to the time it takes. Stopping it happening again has been covered at length, see "Search" facility. Good luck, Jeff.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Any idea when it was last open?
Have you ever seen it open?
I'd think you'd be very unlucky if BOTH the external and internal door handles have stopped operating the latch. Maybe with an extra pair of hands, try unlocking both internal and external simultaneously then repeat for the opening latch.
I ask about when it last opened as the hinge can seize up. If it has, you'll probably have a very rusty beam and risk tearing the door off when you force it open. Sounds dramatic, but repairs to door beams are one of the common repair jobs the cars often need.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Doc Si
Regular Poster
Model: 86 SE
Colour: RED

Post by Doc Si »

As above. We managed to rip the pivot tube off one of my door beams when it rotted and stopped the door opening.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Dave, you may not be aware but through this Forum you can suscribe to the Excel parts manual (30 pounds I think).
It is very complete and most usefull for visualising parts.

If I knew how to post a file I could send you a diagram of the door latch, otherwise send me a PM and I can e-mail you back.

Dave the cog.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

I had an issue with my passenger door that it had to be pushed/pulled slightly inwards while pulling the handle, then it would open outwards (whether opening from the inside or out). This was eventually sorted by adjusting the catch on the B-pillar inwards a bit.

This probably isn't the solution to your problem, but it's such an easy thing to try it's worth a shot!!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

LotusDave
Verified Poster
Colour: White

Post by LotusDave »

Thanks Chaps for your help.

Both handles were pulling the release part of the door latch, but to make sure I made the suggested hooked piece of wire and after quite a while (I do like a challenge) hooked the door latch, so I was able to give it an extra pull, along with pushing the door in against the door seal and then a helper then pushing on the door from the inside as I pull on the outside...still won't open.

So as the door gap is quite big, I managed to get a fine toothed saw blade in and cut through the door latch hook, which was harder than it sounds. The door opened, those of you who said about a seized door hinge bolt were right. The door did open but then broke away from the hinge and came off!

Dave

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

LotusDave wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 09:25
The door did open but then broke away from the hinge and came off!

Dave
ouch!
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

It's heavy isn't it. Did it miss your toes? 😜😜
Well done though. All progress and it's a big plus to know your door beams will be tip top once rebuilt.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Doc Si
Regular Poster
Model: 86 SE
Colour: RED

Post by Doc Si »