Wing Mirrors

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Wing Mirrors

Post by Excel SA »

Following on form discussions during the chat last night - here are some pics of the wing mirrors for Alan in particular...

Below is the main bolt going through the glass - this bolts directly into the mirror frame - there is no nut - if it's just spinning you have a problem.....

This is the back of the glass 4 screws hold the motor mechanism to the frame, which is in turn fastened to a thin metal plate with 4 tiny nuts which is stuck to the glass with thin double sided tape. I don't think removing the glass from the mechanism will end well at all - the double-sided tape covers most of the glass area and is very thin - removing the 4 screws at the back, hidden under the cover would be the way to go.

Neil.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Wing Mirrors

Post by Pete Boole »

If that gland nut is just spinning it can only mean the threads are gone in the mirror frame (Mazak?). If you can disassemble it you can probably repair the threads with epoxy and re-tap them - should last for quite a while.

Or get a new mirror frame 3D printed?

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Thanks Neil.

The nut isn’t spinning, just the opposite - it won’t turn and didn’t want to force it in case I damaged something. Was hoping there was a nut on the inside I could access and grip, but as it’s part of the outer bracket/moulding looks like lots of penetrating oil and prayers that I can get it apart without breaking anything 😧

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Pete Boole wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 09:59
If that gland nut is just spinning it can only mean the threads are gone in the mirror frame (Mazak?). If you can disassemble it you can probably repair the threads with epoxy and re-tap them - should last for quite a while.

Or get a new mirror frame 3D printed?

Pete
Fortunately if all goes t*ts up I have a pair of brand new mirrors 😁

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

It doesn't look like the nut is steel, so probably just some corrosion in there - penetrating oil and heat? Be careful with the glass :shock:

Neil.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Apropos our discussion last night, when we were talking about the rubber ‘bellows’ on the mirrors. I remember as a small boy having a set called Plastics Engineering which had a number of different plastic materials and moulds. One of them was a space capsule and I remember making one which was soft, flexible but strong material. I think it was just poured into the mould then rotated and maybe gently heated. Do such sets exist today for curious young people to learn from?

There must be a similar material available today which could be used be used once an appropriate mould had been made.

Cheers, Richard