Glass roof on 501 Elite

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Dean Bow
Verified Poster

Glass roof on 501 Elite

Post by Dean Bow »

Hi folks
I hope you don't mind me asking but was a fixed glass (panoramic) roof an option on a 1978 501 Elite? I am looking at buying a car that has one fitted. It does not open, and covers most of the front section of the roof and some of the rear, going over the roll bar. I haven't seen one like that before.

Also, if anyone has any buying tips or things to look out for with 501 Elites I would be very grateful.

Ps I was previously a member on here under a different username (DeanBower I think, or D Bower) but I lost my details and couldn't retrieve my account - I do know a few of you from the Lotus in the Peak event that I am involved in. Hello guys!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Glass roof on 501 Elite

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi Dean! Nope - never a factory option, but sounds interesting! Could make the roof stiffer than the original if done properly, if a little heavier. Got any photos?

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Hi Dean, doesn't the roll bar ruin the view?

Welcome.

Early models you need to check for rust on the chassis , door frames and beams rot; water ingress from seals and screen or blocked scuttle drain.

stress cracks on the body

stu
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Dean Bow
Verified Poster

Post by Dean Bow »

Thanks chaps. I have a photo but how on earth do I attach it?
I am pretty bad with tech!

Wasn't there a panaramic roof on the 2.2 Elite, was it called 'Riviera'?

TAR
Regular Poster
Model: Elite Type 75
Colour: blue

Post by TAR »

The Elite and Eclat Riviera models were the run-out model that were fitted with lift-out roof panels. They are Series 2.2 and all built after late 1981.

I suspect you are asking about the white Elite advertised on Ebay? As mentioned, the chassis wasn't galvanised on the S1 Elite or Eclat and rust where you can't easily see it can be an issue. It tends to be worst on the rear top of the chassis above the diff where you can't really see it.

The eBay car is missing the rear wiper, has the wrong badges front and rear, non-standard front seats and very oddly recovered rear seats.

Other things to check are doors, make sure they don't drop when opening.

It may be the way the pictures are taken but it appears to be missing its front valance which is really important for airflow through the radiator.

There was no power steering on a 501, that was only fitted to the 503 model.

It's rather top heavy in price in my opinion. I'd be looking for a far more original car at that price.

If it isn't that one, I apologise for droning on. :)

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

link to fleabay images whilst still active

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304273860187 ... %7Ciid%3A1

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks for the link Stu. Dean - I'd say it's double the price it should be - if that's the car.

Pete

Dean Bow
Verified Poster

Post by Dean Bow »

It is that car guys, thanks for the input.
Really good to know about the valance, badges and so on. I obviously knew about the seats. And now it looks like the glass roof is aftermarket...it's not looking good.
If anyone knows of a better one would they please let me know?
I went to see a metallic green one late last year that was even more expensive and in some ways a lot less nice than this one - like it didn't drive for a start!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

being over concerned on expensive is a false economy.

"Expensive" means no follow on cost to titivate. Should be perfect.

"Cheap" means 5k for an engine build; 5k for a repaint; 1k for brakes and suspension etc. etc. Ends up the same.

There is/was a very nice BRG rhd elite in France last year which I dont think sold. @15K.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Well said Stu. These are very rare cars so finding a good one is not easy but finding one that doesnt need some fettling will be almost impossible and 15 to 20g will be required if found. Keep looking dude your car is out there and some bargains appear occasionally.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

With reference to know what to look out for when buying a car, I have scanned the Practical Classics 6 page article of November 2002.

I'm not too sure which is the best place to put the article, so I have put into the history and memorabilia section of the Forum.