Elite/Eclat seats - headrest

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Elite/Eclat seats - headrest

Post by richardw »

I think the original question about fitting the seat cover over the headrest was on for sale/wanted but I’ve received one answer from Graham Howman on the Lotus Remembered Facebook group:

Hi Richard, try Fulcher Coach trimmers at Hethersett Norfolk. Now run by Nick Fulcher 's son. Nick, now sadly deceased, did the original work on the seats, so his son should be able to help.

If I get any more answers I’ll post them here.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Elite/Eclat seats - headrest

Post by Pete Boole »

Excellent - thanks Richard :D

Pete

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Another answer from Lotus Remembered - this time Fred Garwood:

If it was me I would remove the metalwork from the foam and you should be able to fit that into the cover and then stick the metalwork into place. I seem to remember doing the early excel seats like that. Maybe someone should ask Kenny Fuller . He must have made several

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

I spoke to Nick Fulcher's son this morning who now runs the business. Doing the headrests is probably the only part of seat making he doesn't remember watching his dad do!! D'oh!!

The headrest "box section" is welded into place on the main frame of the seat. I think it would be almost impossible to weld them in place after covering them.

The old seat cover I have started to dismantle has all been sewn on a machine - no hand stitching evident to indicate it was fitted in place and stitched afterwards. V. tricky!

More research needed.

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Would it be possible to fit a plastic bag over and get a good enough seal to use vacuum to compress the foam with the plastic also reducing friction to allow sliding through the neck?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Good idea Alan. I'll give it a good looking-at! I can't think how at the moment - the steelwork is pretty complicated around the bottom of the headrest. There's also a bit of hardboard riveted to the framework immediately below the headrest. This might turn out to be the trickiest part of the resto!!

Pete