S1 Eclat front spoiler query

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Ridgenet74
Verified Poster
Model: Eclat S1
Colour: Yellow
Year: 1979

S1 Eclat front spoiler query

Post by Ridgenet74 »

Just starting out with a long list of small issues and have stuck at an early hurdle. The front spoiler was missing when I got the car so attempted to fit a replacement today. However the grille is exactly where the spoiler wants to be.
Does anyone have a picture of what this area looks like on an S1 Eclat / Elite? Would be much appreciated to see how it's all meant to fit together! I've tried to upload a picture of mine:
https://app.box.com/s/qnflc0cbpvkbd9w7wob4toufj7b1nd4x

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: S1 Eclat front spoiler query

Post by Pete Boole »

Welcome to the forum! I'm restoring an early Elite as well and there was virtually nothing left of my lower grill (not even sure if it was original), however the one on your car looks too big. I've got a replacement spoiler from SJ to fit - the holes in it are too big but it does fit. I plan to have a stainless mesh grill made to fit just inside the aperture. I've never come across any photos of the grill either - would love to see some.

Post up some more photos! :D

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Hi and Welcome.
That yellow grill is nothing to do with Lotus original fitment. The grill sits behind the opening on the body underside (It the same width as between the Ply crash boards).They all rot to nothing on the first 5 years of life, but I think originals are still available. As Pete, I'm intending to replace mine with a SS replica.
. the holes in it are too big but it does fit
The OE spoiler does have two large holes that aren't for fitting. They are clearance over the front chassis bolts IIRC - could be the lower rad fixing. The spoiler is fitted by 3 X M8 nuts and bolts. They are probably in different positions on every car, so SJ leave them out.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

AndrewWebber
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold

Post by AndrewWebber »

I will be able to take and upload a photo of that area on my S1 Elite on Wednesday. The previous owner did have a (supposedly original spec) lower grill fitted by Miles Wilkins in 2016. As far as I know the spoiler is the original fitment.

Andy

Ridgenet74
Verified Poster
Model: Eclat S1

Post by Ridgenet74 »

Guys - Thanks to all of you for coming back to me so quickly on this! I suspected the grille was not original...

A previous owner seems to have had an obsession with painting as many things on the car as possible in yellow whilst neglecting to attend to the more important stuff. He must have ditched the original spoiler when it wouldn't fit around the grille!
To start with I'll take some tin snips to it so I can get the spoiler fitted correctly and address it more permanently in future - SS sounds like the way forward.

Next stupid question whilst I'm in the same area. I kind of assume the ply boards are meant to shield off the headlights / electrics? Mine appear to have been cut down - presumably in an attempt to get to the headlights at some point

Andy pic of grille would be much appreciated - thanks

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

The plywood is part of the front crash structure - it's pretty important. They don't extend all the way up but most of it. I'll try and get some photos tomorrow. They often need replacing as they rot out.

Andrew - that would be great if you could take a couple of shots of the fitment of the lower grill.

Pete

TAR
Regular Poster
Model: Elite Type 75
Colour: blue

Post by TAR »

The S1 front spoiler is relatively small and doesn't go all the way across the front of the car. For the S2.2 cars, the spoiler was improved by making it longer. A later spoiler is available aftermarket from SJ Sports Cars should you want to improve the airflow through the radiator. The internal ducting is also important for good airflow. :)

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

TAR wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 23:33
The internal ducting is also important for good airflow. :)
You're right TAR - I've been wondering about why Lotus might have gone to a single air intake on the Excel, while there are two on the Elite - other than for styling reasons. I wonder about the turbulence behind these two intakes and have been considering some sort of "aerofoil" behind the "blind spot" in the intake. Don't know if I'm over-thinking it (as usual! :roll: ). Also on the cars with a/c the condenser is quite a way from the water radiator, instead of being virtually abutted to it like on modern cars.

Could someone with an Excel measure the air intake aperture please? :D

Pete

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Here's a photo of the plywood panel showing how high up it goes. The top of the plywood follows the side of the headlight aperture. Ignore the holes in mine - they are for the air filter panel in my modified car! As you can see I've covered mine in a layer of matting as well.

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Here's a photo of the original "lower" grill - Use your imagination to fill in the blanks. :lol:

You can just make out the remnants of a tab on the left and right that had a self tapper into the ply wood crash boards, and a wavy spring clip in the middle on one run that clipped onto the fibre glass edge. - Dont let the shaddow line confuse you.

Here's a photo from inside the body work showing the width of the opening . The wall on the far side is the Ply wood separating the head lamp bowl. I think I'm correct in saying that you can also see a plug insert for the screw that held the mesh in place. IIRC, the grill is much wider than the opening in the fibre glass.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

That's just what mine looks like Tony!! I'm planning to make the new one so that it just fits the hole and can be removed from the outside - I'm also planning to have the rad pack made so that it can be fitted from underneath, rather than having to remove it via the engine bay.

Pete

soldave
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat

Post by soldave »

Well thanks to this thread I now know there should actually be a grille down there. Looks like this is the one: https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... U0546Z.htm

Will get it added to the list of parts needed to bring my car fully back to original!

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

Pete Boole wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:52
TAR wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 23:33
The internal ducting is also important for good airflow. :)
Could someone with an Excel measure the air intake aperture please? :D

Pete
Hi Pete a quick measurement of the aperture for the front grill on my Excel is about 730mm x 90mm - it normally has two vertical bars in the space as well, I'd guess about 25mm wide each. I would need the bumper off to measure the size of the actual ducts, and I think they still choke down a bit more further in, but that's from memory....

Neil

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Neil - I want to work out the difference in intake area between the Elite and Excel.

Pete

soldave
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat

Post by soldave »

Am I right in thinking the only way to fit this grille will be with the radiator out, so you have access to the nosecone (for want of a better word) area?