Bonnet release

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Bonnet release

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Anyone had experience of fettling bonnet release cables? More so Passenger side. The lever is moving full travel but nothing happening at the latch.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Bonnet release

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Left side not actuating, so well stuck. Bonnet had actually sunk into the bay by 5mm it was that well gripped.

Release method was to remove pods, undo bonnet pivot bolts and wiggle. Up she comes like a floating carpet.

Cable not moving at all at the catch end via the lever.

Lever end is moving fine and returning into the sleeve.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

I had this problem over the winter. Removed cables to oil them, rebuilt and N/S wouldn't pull back the latch.

First problem is that the cable isn't acting concentric as it exits the outer. If you've tightened the outer nut, loosen it again and slap around plenty of sealant.
I actually drilled another hole higher up the arm to give a better line of action in the end.

Second problem is the 180 degree turn the cable has to take as it goes into the bulk head. The inner is smaller diameter than the bore of the outer, so it can just move around as you pull the release lever. Pull the inner through as tight as possible with pliers before clamping the bolt.

Good luck.
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

I'm going to investigate making a "handed" pair of catches that would allow proper alignment of the cable/arm. I'll let you know what I find.

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

This pic shows the first problem I refer to and my new hole position.

Pete Boole wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 07:29
I'm going to investigate making a "handed" pair of catches that would allow proper alignment of the cable/arm. I'll let you know what I find.

Pete

IMO, the tight turn the cable has to make just before the bulk head is the bigger problem. I considered using a second short cable and a rocking lever behind the glove box to allow both cables to run in nearly straight lines. In the end though, I got the original working again
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

OK - I've made a handed one for the nearside - anybody want to try it (my car doesn't have a bonnet to try it on! :roll: )? It means drilling a second hole in the body for the cable/ferrule. Maybe a slightly longer cable would help as well - some of Bash's bicycle cable?

Pete