Door window seals, and door drainage

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Door window seals, and door drainage

Post by Zaphod »

Today I have been investigating why my drivers side footwell filled with water in heavy rain when the car was outside last year.
After spending some time in the lotus position in the drivers foot well while my partner sprayed the car with the hose pipe I found no leaks from the windscreen, wiper mechanism or the heater. However the rubber seal on the bottom of the door window is hopless and the bottom of the door fills with water, there is also a hole in the underside of the door above the seal. I have a feeling it has never been a great seal arrangement from new but I think it has been replaced on both doors, should it be cut so it does not lift away so much where it passes over the door window frames and thus reduced the water ingress to the door? My best guess from looking at it is that some water ingress to inside the door is expected but the holes in the bottom of the door should be allow the water to exit faster than it enters, but the current situation leads to those holes being inadequate and water rises to a level where it is able to leak onto the sill and into the footwell. So I is there a way to make the seal between the window frame and door skin more effective or should I just make the drains bigger? I would prefer to reduce the water entry as that will hopefully reduce the corrosion on he door beam
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Re: Door window seals, and door drainage

Post by Marten »

Zaphod wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:52
Today I have been investigating why my drivers side footwell filled with water in heavy rain when the car was outside last year.
After spending some time in the lotus position in the drivers foot well while my partner sprayed the car with the hose pipe I found no leaks from the windscreen, wiper mechanism or the heater. However the rubber seal on the bottom of the door window is hopless and the bottom of the door fills with water, there is also a hole in the underside of the door above the seal. I have a feeling it has never been a great seal arrangement from new but I think it has been replaced on both doors, should it be cut so it does not lift away so much where it passes over the door window frames and thus reduced the water ingress to the door? My best guess from looking at it is that some water ingress to inside the door is expected but the holes in the bottom of the door should be allow the water to exit faster than it enters, but the current situation leads to those holes being inadequate and water rises to a level where it is able to leak onto the sill and into the footwell. So I is there a way to make the seal between the window frame and door skin more effective or should I just make the drains bigger? I would prefer to reduce the water entry as that will hopefully reduce the corrosion on he door beam
I'd say start with removing the doorcards and ensure that the bottom of the door is clean and the holes are not obstructed.

If you've got an access hole cut for the throttle cable that needs sealling as well

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

The door cards are already out, which is why I could see the water pouring past the seal between the door skin and the windows!
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

There should be two holes in the bottom of the door for drainage, each about 10mm in diameter, so should be no issues draining the water that will pass the window seal.
Check these are clear. Also the inner inspection panels should be sealed to the door.
It’s more likely the water is leaking in past the door seals.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

I have installed a d shape rubber seal on the u part of the door window frame.
This helps seal the gap between window frame and body.
Also I have filled with silicone (black of course) the area of door frame just behind the hinge to stop water running down the frame
and into a leaky area.

I would add fotos but Onedrive seems to have changed the procedure and i am losing patience.

Dave the cog