2 spoke steering wheel compatibility.

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

2 spoke steering wheel compatibility.

Post by Alan_M »

Does anyone know what the difference in the 2 spoke steering wheels fitted to a S1 Elite/Eclat (A075H0145F) and the S2 Elite/Eclat/Early Excel (A083H0155F).

Or the difference between the upper steering column. This has the same part number for all S1 and S2 Eclat/Elite - A075H6007WD

And the early Excel which is part number - A075H6007F

Trying to work out what might be fitted to the prototype to get a replacement.
Thanks

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: 2 spoke steering wheel compatibility.

Post by Pete Boole »

I had an Eclat many years ago and one of the things I remember is that the steering wheel felt really flimsy - ISTR that it was made from aluminium, but ought to have been steel, and the centre trim was fastened on separately. My current Elite wheel feels much stronger and has the rubber trim moulded in situ apart from the removeable central piece. I have a spare Elite steering wheel and steering column if you need to borrow them. I have been told that the Elite column was from an export MGA. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the early Excel items.

Pete

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Thanks Pete. I’m trying to work out compatibility to replace the steering column on the prototype, so trying to work out whether I have an Elite/Eclat column or an Excel one and was wondering if differences in steering wheel may have given me a clue.
It currently has a Guigaro 3 spoke wheel fitted. This seems to sit with the rim very close to the stalks, so,I knock them when turning the wheel. Bearings are shot, but also the outer column at the floor end is pretty rusty so want to swap out the column.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Pete Boole wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 16:57
I had an Eclat many years ago and one of the things I remember is that the steering wheel felt really flimsy - ISTR that it was made from aluminium, but ought to have been steel, and the centre trim was fastened on separately. My current Elite wheel feels much stronger and has the rubber trim moulded in situ apart from the removeable central piece. I have a spare Elite steering wheel and steering column if you need to borrow them. I have been told that the Elite column was from an export MGA. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the early Excel items.

Pete
Wasn’t it an export MGC Pete? I think BLMC had a few left over…!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

You're probably right Richard - brain fade! :D

Pete