Pilkington Triplex or Twin Simplex

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Elite
Junior Poster

Pilkington Triplex or Twin Simplex

Post by Elite »

While taking apart the aluminum trim I cracked the windshield. I found out that the windshield was delaminated and that it could present a potential risk for all of us. I you get a stone on the side of such a delaminated windshield, chance are that big pieces of very cutting glass would then result. The glass isn’t bonded anymore to the plastic sheet and thus stops being “Triplex”. I took the windshield off and the center was weak but still OK but all the edges produced big sharp pieces.
Just to let you know! BTW I don’t need the screen on this project so for me it isn’t an issue.

Sorry about the bad pict

igg-hiss
Senior Poster

Re: Pilkington Triplex or Twin Simplex

Post by igg-hiss »

I took the windscreen out of my 40 year eclat on Sunday and I must admit that while the centre held true there were indeed shards that came from the extremities that were more vicious than the lion enclosure at Chester Zoo.

I was going to purchase a second hand screen from lotusbits but having read this exceptionally useful post I will not change the supplier but I will instead purchase a new windscreen.

Thanks Elite
The Lotus Eclat, a lot like the English Whisky company: comes from Norfolk and better than you are often told it is.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

When replacing your screen don't forget the spacers at the bottom.
Otherwise you might find (like I did) that over a period of time (~ 2 years) the screen, which is held to the car body by a flexible sealant, gradually slides down leaving a gap at the top for rain to get through :-(
And this screen was fitted by a professional (i.e not me).
Tony

igg-hiss
Senior Poster

Post by igg-hiss »

Thanks Tony I was already going to get the trim holders anyway but I will make sure the spacers are bought as well.

Before she goes of for paint I was unsure whether to remove all the glass, I am glad I did it all particularly fell out except the screen which put up some resistance. If not for the wires the rear screen would have come out on its own, wrapped it's self in bubble wrap and plonked it's self on the shelf it was that loose.
The Lotus Eclat, a lot like the English Whisky company: comes from Norfolk and better than you are often told it is.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Regarding windows here's my 10 pence worth.
My car had a new screen fitted by Autoglass the day before I picked it up from the PO. Autoglass' provide screens too big for the aperture so the screen is high at the top and wide at the sides. LB have their screens built to fit, so I would definitely go there for my next one.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

jpm6591
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel
Colour: Green
Year: 1984

Post by jpm6591 »

Can someone guide me to a supplier of said spacers mentioned below?

Thanks
tonypoll wrote:
Sat Jan 24, 2015 09:45
When replacing your screen don't forget the spacers at the bottom.
Otherwise you might find (like I did) that over a period of time (~ 2 years) the screen, which is held to the car body by a flexible sealant, gradually slides down leaving a gap at the top for rain to get through :-(
And this screen was fitted by a professional (i.e not me).
Tony

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

I tried to buy some from LB when I bought my screen, but they said I could make them form some 4mm plastic sheet. Anyone have a photo of them?
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I might be able to find some of mine - they are in a box somewhere (one of many places!). ISTR they are about 3-4mm square and maybe 6-8mm long - they are made from rubber. To be honest they were there to keep the Solbit at a minimum thickness - I'm not sure how important they are with modern sealants. They play no part in stopping your screen from "slipping" (it shouldn't slip regardless!).

Pete