Water in footwells

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Re: Water in footwells

Post by MrCoolA »

CHRISYD wrote:
MrCoolA wrote:
mrpmarchant wrote:I have sliced my speedo grommet in one position, to get an additional cable through for a starter button (instead of the last key position which stopped working). When putting it back, the slit is vertical on the underside, and no water ingress results =0)

I found that the water ran along the speedo cable and then ran in through the grommet
i use windscreen sealant where any cables or wires etc go into the car. it stays flexible so moves with throttle cables etc.
Yep, I use silicon sealant
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

nickball
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Black

Post by nickball »

Hello all,

late to the party as usual!!!

One place I found ( after 20 years of water leaks!! ) is at the grill under the windscreen.

If you remove this grill, you will find a well, at the bottom there is a pipe that comes out through the bulkhead into the engine bay. This gets clogged with leaves and grime.

Now the clever bit!!! Although you can't see it, there is also a well on the opposite side!!! You will find an identical pipe coming out of the bulkhead on the other side!! To clear it, you need to pull the pipe off., I haven't put mine fully back in, so water can drain immediately. Hasn't been a problem since.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

nickball wrote:Hello all,

late to the party as usual!!!

One place I found ( after 20 years of water leaks!! ) is at the grill under the windscreen.

If you remove this grill, you will find a well, at the bottom there is a pipe that comes out through the bulkhead into the engine bay. This gets clogged with leaves and grime.

Now the clever bit!!! Although you can't see it, there is also a well on the opposite side!!! You will find an identical pipe coming out of the bulkhead on the other side!! To clear it, you need to pull the pipe off., I haven't put mine fully back in, so water can drain immediately. Hasn't been a problem since.
On my car the pipe has been removed and will stay off. As you say the pipe blocking up is a major cause of water ingress, and the only disadvantage to having it removed is that water falls onto the rear of the engine and onto the gearbox.

Otherwise you can blast compressed air up the pipe, but you need to be able to get under the car first.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

And a third pipe, towards the bottom of that plastic assembly, is the drain for the aircon condenser. It can also get clogged, which results in condensation sloshing around and eventually dripping out into the passenger footwell when cornering.

Clearing that one involves a long pipecleaner and contortions between the cylinder head and bulkead to reach the pipe.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

My mk3 mx5 has issues with the drains for the hood, I use a trombone brush to keep the pipes clear. Its a bit like and old fashioned curtain wire about 1.2 metres long with a small 'bogbrush' at either end, push it in and wait for it to emerge below the car and drag it out, that way all the crap goes in the correct direction. Cheap as chips from music shops and does a great job.
( wifes a concert violinist so I see lots of musicians ).

bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster

Post by MrCoolA »

ive decided to bite the bullet and purchase new door seals, hoping that this will once and for all keep the car dry.............well you can hope cant you..
Now "Black Flag"

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

In my experience water enters the front foot wells via the door seals. I've discovered even genuine, expensive Lotus seals quickly become compressed, losing their circular cross section shape and "bounce". This happened on both my Excels. The seals can look as if they are in perfect condition but still allow water ingress.

When the seals lose their shape I've found water tracks down the little valley between the outer circular seal and the "U" section part that clips to the door aperture. The water then spills over, running under the door sill carpet. The odd downpour didn't seem to overwhelm the door seals on my car. I only had a problem when the car was outside in constant rain for over several hours.

Rather than replacing the seals every 3 years I've had some success with an idea I read about on the forum years ago. I insterted lengths of 9mm outside diameter clear plastic tubing into the seals to restore their shape eg. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261632450475 . I got the tubing into the seal cavity by enlarging one of the small door seal air vent perforations down by the door sill. If you coat the outside of the pvc tube and then flood the inside with some silicone lubricant spray or failing that some household polish such as Mr Sheen it's possible to push the tube forwards, past the door hinges, up the "A" pillar and then back along the cant rail. For a day or two afterwards the door needs a firm shove to latch but things soon settle down so the door can be closed normally. I'm not saying the pvc tube will cure your leaks for certain Jerry but at less than a fiver per door it might be worth a try.

I've cut and scraped away the under-carpet foot well soundproofing mat which is glued into the foot wells by the factory. I imagine you are well aware what this stuff is like but for anyone who isn't it has a nice sturdy grey waterproof surface but underneath it's just a water absorbing sponge which is going to attract moisture even in even in normal wet weather use. I used some closed cell foam cut from a camping mat laid in loose as a replacement.
Kev W no.282

MrCoolA
Senior Poster

Post by MrCoolA »

I saw Ed China do something similar on an Aston if I recall correctly. The seals I have on at the moment are a bit of an abortion and they are well due a renewal. just hoping that they arrive from SJ's soonest as I'm off next week and will give something to do along with stripping my headlamp lift motor and changing my instrument lighting. Will try the tubing the next time round. The soundproofing is a bugger to dry but it is getting there using a 3kw fan heater and dehumidifier

Hoped that I could have completed the seals befor next weeks rains, may have to put the gazebo up over the car.
Now "Black Flag"

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Drove out this weekend leaving the car outside over night and have now noticed water passing the seals as described above and sitting on the inner sill rail. The seals have been removed at some time in the past and have no sealant to stop capillary action sucking water through into the car. List of jobs is getting longer.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

daedalusminos
Verified Poster

Post by daedalusminos »

Before you condemn door seals, just thought I'd share my experience with my 1988 Excel.

I noticed the rear passenger foot-well repeatedly filling up with water - in one instance to a depth of 3-4inches, the car was currently being stored outside and I was reluctant to cover with so much damp inside. I knew I had a leak at the top of the front screen as I could see droplets running down the inside but I also noticed water on the door seal with the door open. I should point out the car was parked slightly nose up and slightly driver side down, emphasis on the 'slight' - I live on the Norfolk Broads!

I checked the door drains but they were clear, however after removing the door trim, the culprit was clear to see; water runs down the outside of the passenger door glass and down inside the door (let's face it, even when new those door-glass weather strips aren't going to stop anything!). The water then progressed to the bottom edge of the door glass dripped off, and due to the driver side being lower, landed on the inside of the rear most door inspection panel. From there it ran to the bottom of the panel and, because this had been removed in the past and not resealed, made it's way swiftly to the cockpit side of the door frame, down behind the trim and on to the top of the seal and into the foot-well.

Problem solved with a new application of silicone sealer to the inspection panel, it's a shame the door's not designed so the inspection panels fit on the inside!

MrCoolA
Senior Poster

Post by MrCoolA »

daedalusminos wrote:Before you condemn door seals, just thought I'd share my experience with my 1988 Excel.

I noticed the rear passenger foot-well repeatedly filling up with water - in one instance to a depth of 3-4inches, the car was currently being stored outside and I was reluctant to cover with so much damp inside. I knew I had a leak at the top of the front screen as I could see droplets running down the inside but I also noticed water on the door seal with the door open. I should point out the car was parked slightly nose up and slightly driver side down, emphasis on the 'slight' - I live on the Norfolk Broads!

I checked the door drains but they were clear, however after removing the door trim, the culprit was clear to see; water runs down the outside of the passenger door glass and down inside the door (let's face it, even when new those door-glass weather strips aren't going to stop anything!). The water then progressed to the bottom edge of the door glass dripped off, and due to the driver side being lower, landed on the inside of the rear most door inspection panel. From there it ran to the bottom of the panel and, because this had been removed in the past and not resealed, made it's way swiftly to the cockpit side of the door frame, down behind the trim and on to the top of the seal and into the foot-well.

Problem solved with a new application of silicone sealer to the inspection panel, it's a shame the door's not designed so the inspection panels fit on the inside!
I have the same issue and it is dependent on which way my car is parked either up hill or down. I will try resealing this weekend so fingers crossed
Now "Black Flag"

The Kingmaker
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Colour: Blue
Year: 1988

Post by The Kingmaker »

KevW wrote:In my experience water enters the front foot wells via the door seals. I've discovered even genuine, expensive Lotus seals quickly become compressed, losing their circular cross section shape and "bounce". This happened on both my Excels. The seals can look as if they are in perfect condition but still allow water ingress.

When the seals lose their shape I've found water tracks down the little valley between the outer circular seal and the "U" section part that clips to the door aperture. The water then spills over, running under the door sill carpet. The odd downpour didn't seem to overwhelm the door seals on my car. I only had a problem when the car was outside in constant rain for over several hours.

Rather than replacing the seals every 3 years I've had some success with an idea I read about on the forum years ago. I insterted lengths of 9mm outside diameter clear plastic tubing into the seals to restore their shape eg. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261632450475 . I got the tubing into the seal cavity by enlarging one of the small door seal air vent perforations down by the door sill. If you coat the outside of the pvc tube and then flood the inside with some silicone lubricant spray or failing that some household polish such as Mr Sheen it's possible to push the tube forwards, past the door hinges, up the "A" pillar and then back along the cant rail. For a day or two afterwards the door needs a firm shove to latch but things soon settle down so the door can be closed normally. I'm not saying the pvc tube will cure your leaks for certain Jerry but at less than a fiver per door it might be worth a try.

I've cut and scraped away the under-carpet foot well soundproofing mat which is glued into the foot wells by the factory. I imagine you are well aware what this stuff is like but for anyone who isn't it has a nice sturdy grey waterproof surface but underneath it's just a water absorbing sponge which is going to attract moisture even in even in normal wet weather use. I used some closed cell foam cut from a camping mat laid in loose as a replacement.
Hi I have mould issues with the old girl, and as an asthmatic just a short drive is killing me!

I think I'm going to change the carpet, and am thinking of going DIY. Can you give me any tips at all on the best way of getting a good job done?

Will I need to take out the seats, and the gear panelling? Do you have any pictures at all please?

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

I have managed to cure all but 1 leak so far. it is a small puddle in the passenger footwell next to the transmission tunnel. ive removed carpets and sound deadening so I can see better. its been running down from behind the radio and heater area. ive sealed up the wiper spindle, all grommets, screen is 100% sealed, the black plastic access panel where the heater pipes pass into the car inc the 2 grommets. I also removed the engine bay plenum "box" and resealed but still leaks!!! the doors are water tight as the sill carpets are dry.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

rs blu
Regular Poster
Model: Excel se
Colour: monaco white
Year: 1988

Post by rs blu »

:shock:
CHRISYD wrote:I have managed to cure all but 1 leak so far. it is a small puddle in the passenger footwell next to the transmission tunnel. ive removed carpets and sound deadening so I can see better. its been running down from behind the radio and heater area. ive sealed up the wiper spindle, all grommets, screen is 100% sealed, the black plastic access panel where the heater pipes pass into the car inc the 2 grommets. I also removed the engine bay plenum "box" and resealed but still leaks!!! the doors are water tight as the sill carpets are dry.
are you looked the internal heater radiator? :shock:sometime losing :(

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

I have tasted the water to check for bitter coolant taste but it is pure rain water. it doesn't seem to matter if you get 1 short little shower or it tips down all day, its always the same amount of water!!! about an egg cup full.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops: