Water in footwells

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

mrpmarchant
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SA
Colour: Black A2
Year: 1987

Water in footwells

Post by mrpmarchant »

Even when I cover the car with a car cover, after any rainfall, I find a lot of water in both footwells.
Does anyone know how this is most likely to be getting there?
Lotus Excel SA 1987
Lotus Elan M100 SE Turbo 1997
BMW M3 2005

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Re: Water in footwells

Post by MrCoolA »

mrpmarchant wrote:Even when I cover the car with a car cover, after any rainfall, I find a lot of water in both footwells.
Does anyone know how this is most likely to be getting there?
How big is your cover, the reason I ask is that if I park my car on a slope i.e. Nose lower I get water in through the windscreen seal if I park nose up I don't. Balsa check the seals in the side roof strips it was getting in there and then running down the door rubbers. One last possibility is the scuttle drain being blocked b
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

kerry watkins
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1986

Post by kerry watkins »

We found water coming in the footwells not long after we bought the car. Lifted the carpets, which were new (and not the original) and found that the original carpet fixings that went through the floor were missing and water was coming up,through them! They were sealed and we have not had any further problems.
Kerry
Why make it simple when you can make it difficult!

KevW
Senior Poster
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

Make sure you check the doorseals. When I had water in my footwell I found it was tracking down the doorseal onto the interior door sill and then into the footwell. A tiny dribble quickly adds up to a pool in the footwell
Kev W no.282

mrpmarchant
Junior Poster

Post by mrpmarchant »

Thanks, I am heartened that at least it might be curable!
Lotus Excel SA 1987
BMW M3 2005

Radar
Senior Poster
Colour: Red
Year: 1988

Post by Radar »

I have the same problem with mine. I notice water coming in through the bottom of my screen and tracking across the dash when I drive in the rain

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

When I purchased one of the Excels I didn't notice that it had standard sound deadening and carpet, domestic carpet and finally rubber mat. I did notice a bit of water inside the car and on the window as I powered it up, but accepted that these cars have some water ingress issues at times.
What I didn't realise was that the extra layer was to effectively space the rubber mat over the tide, or at least I didn't realise that until after a decent rainfall. By the time I was using the car for a while I had fixed the ingress, the jobs were: bottom of front screen, top of rear screen (gets beneath the rear seat then evaporation and condensation spreads it around), door seals and hinges (too warn and even a new seal is not enough), wiper gearbox exit washer.

mrpmarchant
Junior Poster

Post by mrpmarchant »

Lotusbits say that the doors fill up and their draining holes can block up, and the same for the air plenum.
Lotus Excel SA 1987
BMW M3 2005

mrpmarchant
Junior Poster

Post by mrpmarchant »

I think its sorted now.
The rubber door seals seem to be inside the carpet edges which catch and transmit water into the car from the door opening.
A liberal covering of silicone to seal over this exposure seems to have done the trick.
The door seals are still cantilever (upper edge loose), but if I do get any more water in I will consider masticking that edge back to the shell as well, as that is outside the carpet edges
Lotus Excel SA 1987
BMW M3 2005

MrCoolA
Senior Poster

Post by MrCoolA »

Mine also comes in through the speedo cable grommet
Now "Black Flag"

mrpmarchant
Junior Poster

Post by mrpmarchant »

I have sliced my speedo grommet in one position, to get an additional cable through for a starter button (instead of the last key position which stopped working). When putting it back, the slit is vertical on the underside, and no water ingress results =0)
Lotus Excel SA 1987
BMW M3 2005

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

i'm not trying to be funny, but having read your first post surely it would be better to cover the before any rain.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow

Post by fueltheburn »

When I had a leak in mine which I eventually traced and sorted. I pulled up the carpets 9 months later after being in the dry for all this time and the carpets were still heavy with water due to the sponge material used for sound deadening.
There are about 4 layers of sound deadening and the water gets sandwiched between the fibreglass, the vinyl and the sponge material.
Maybe sit a de-humidifier in the car for a couple of days with everything sealed up to make sure the interior is as dry as possible before going undercover and re-opening at a later date to find mould spores :shock: :shock:
Don't forget to treat any leather and vinyl after this process.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster

Post by MrCoolA »

mrpmarchant wrote:I have sliced my speedo grommet in one position, to get an additional cable through for a starter button (instead of the last key position which stopped working). When putting it back, the slit is vertical on the underside, and no water ingress results =0)

I found that the water ran along the speedo cable and then ran in through the grommet
Now "Black Flag"

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

MrCoolA wrote:
mrpmarchant wrote:I have sliced my speedo grommet in one position, to get an additional cable through for a starter button (instead of the last key position which stopped working). When putting it back, the slit is vertical on the underside, and no water ingress results =0)

I found that the water ran along the speedo cable and then ran in through the grommet
i use windscreen sealant where any cables or wires etc go into the car. it stays flexible so moves with throttle cables etc.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops: