Caliper rebuild question

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pegsyno1
Verified Poster

Caliper rebuild question

Post by Pegsyno1 »

Hi

I'm refurbing all 4 calipers, putting in new seals and generally given them a bit of a spruce up. I'm having a problem inserting the top caliper pin rubber seal. I managed to press one in with a vice, which wasn't pretty but it's in. The next caliper, so far, I've bent 2 seals and would appreciate any help advice in how I might get them in without damaging any more. The manual and internet says insert the seal in a 21mm socket and knock in with a hammer. Hasn't worked for me!! Anyone with any tips tricks or advice that might help?

Thanks in advance

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Re: Caliper rebuild question

Post by Phantasm »

Assuming it's an Excel... While I'm all for fixing things. New Calipers for the Excel are sooo cheap being Toyota parts. I just didn't see the time-value of my money in a rebuild vs. a replacement. Not to mention the efficiency of swapping them out and being back on the road the same day. But I wish you well on the rebuild and my hat is off to you for doing the job!! Good luck.
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Re: Caliper rebuild question

Post by chrisw2811 »

When I rebuilt a pair of front calipers years ago (and they're still in a tray in my garage waiting to be swapped over...) I cleaned out the groove into which the fluid seal pushes really well, using an angled blade to make sure the whole groove was free of all corrosion and debris. I put the fluid seal into the groove and lubricated the inner face with brake fluid, made sure the piston (cleaned, polished and de-greased with brake cleaner) was square to the seal, coated it with brake fluid and twisted it around while applying pressure to push it through the seal. If you have to use a lot of pressure something is obstructing the piston - either gunge/rust behind the seal or it's not square in the tunnel.
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!