Tyres and Insurance cover

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

worzel4u
Regular Poster
Year: 0

Tyres and Insurance cover

Post by worzel4u »

Hello all.

Regulars of this forum might recall that some months ago I encountered a slight "difficulty" with the possible use of HR rated tyres on 14 inch rims. To recap- Footman James said this would be ok but, exercising caution, I thought that I'd check this with the insurers. They advised that this would defintely not be permissible.

Alan Morgan got involved and informed me that in view of the problems this might throw up that the Club would feature this soon. This was two issues ago (Feb in fact) and no mention so far so I thought I'd do the job instead.

Clearly the Club doesn't think this issue of concern- the fact that Excel owners insured via Footman James and insured with Equity Redstar might be driving around blissfully unaware that their cover might be compromised doesn't merit any action.

I'd advise anyone in similar circumstances to check with their insurers on this point.

John

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

Some TVR's have similar issues with 205/55 15 front tyres ... VR's are available (up to 149mph), ZR's are not being made any longer....

My insurers were happy with VR rated tyres but I didn't check with the underwriters. They did ask that I put it in writing ... and I guess if they accept it in writing as a "modification" or whatever then it would be ok. In the end I chose to upgrade wheels and tyres to use 17/18 wheels instead of 15/16 since the wheels needed a refurb anyway!

Wootan
Junior Poster

Post by Wootan »

Hi all

As an underwriter myself I can clear this up for you. The issue regarding speed rating on tyres relates to the whether the vehicle is road worthy not the disclosure of modifications. A insurer has the right to repudiate any claim if the vehicle is unroadworthy and this contributed to the incident, i.e (bald tyres won't affect a theft claim). If the standard tyre rating is no longer available the vehicle manufacturer should be able to provide you with a suitable alternative. obviously its advisable to keep a record of this but as long as the tyre is suitable for the car and you have confirmation from the vehicle manufacturer to that effect your insurance will not be affected. If you would like clarification the F.O.S has a help line for members of the public.

Cheers

Paul

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

It's still not crystal clear, are you saying the only way for it to be deemed roadworthy is for the manufactuer to tell me which tyres I could use? What if there aren't any suitable? What about all the people who change wheels & tyres to non-standard sizes, not just speed ratings?

ClassicLine did tell me VR in standard sizes would be ok - and you'd have to be mad to exceed 149mph in a Griffith 500 anyway ... 149mph in a Griffith 500 would scare the crap out of anyone ... they start getting light at the front at 140mph and I don't imagine it gets any better over that speed!

As I mentioned before, I went for new wheels with WR rated tyres , but it's interesting to understand where we stand....

Wootan
Junior Poster

Post by Wootan »

Hi Steve

Yes thats what I'm saying, an insurance company should not advise whcih tyres are suitable for your vehcile as its against FSA regulations. Underwriters are not qualified to make that decision and rely on their engineers, as its the engineers responsibility to declare the car unroadworthy generally they will speak to the vehicle manufacturers to confirm the tyres are suitable. If you have confirmation from the manufacturer the insurer will deal with any claim. Also tyre ratings are not just about the potential speed of the vehicle, cornering forces, vehicle weight, and other variables are also used to determine a suitable tyre. I very much doubt you'll find yourself in situation where a suitable replacement cannot be provided.

Cheers

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

Wootan wrote:Yes thats what I'm saying, an insurance company should not advise whcih tyres are suitable for your vehcile as its against FSA regulations.
A grey area? they didn't advise me, I said, is my insurance valid if I fit the standard size in VR ... I didn't ask them which tyres to fit!

The front tyres for Griffith/Chimaeras are a bit like the Excel, hens teeth! ... there are no manufacturers making ZR 205/55x15 anymore. 215/50 15 were fitted at one point and 225/50 15 for cars with power steering. We all know how much fun it is finding 215/50 15's, and with 225's and no PAS, the steering gets pretty heavy and the car tramlines (even) more.

It's strange why 3 or 4 manfacturers stop making a size all at once ... if one kept making them they;d sell three times as many!

Wootan
Junior Poster

Post by Wootan »

I know the tyres are becoming expensive but I've not specific availability problems. I'm sure read somewhere on here that lotus had recomended the 225/50/15's on the rear and 205/50/15's on the front as a viable option.