Iron cross wheels

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Keithmanx
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1984

Iron cross wheels

Post by Keithmanx »

I’m looking at getting my wheels refurbed, but I can’t find online what the iron cross wheels were like originally… it looks like the outer lip on mine were machined finish, would it have included the next internal diameter too as on my crude image? Thanks in advance for any help, Keith

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Iron cross wheels

Post by richardw »

Yours are Speedline wheels - the style was originally designed by Oliver Winterbottom for the Esprit, then used on some S2.2 elites, all S2.2 eclats, and the early Excels before they moved to 15” wheels. There was an iron cross wheel available as an option, sourced from Toyota I believe.

The wheels just need silver painting/powder coating, nothing special. Mine originally had diamond cut rims but this can only be done a limited number of times as the metal becomes too thin. Also, the finish is not durable - mine only lasted 3 years before needing refurbishment.

One thing that does damage the wheels unnecessarily is the centre caps, which are held in by a strong steel circlip. It’s almost impossible to remove these without damaging the wheel and/or cap, so I have sourced some 50mm Lotus badge stickers to fit on the original caps (which are damaged) and have sourced some wire circlips which should just ‘ping’ out - will report more fully once I’ve got the job finished.

Cheers, Richard

Keithmanx
Verified Poster

Post by Keithmanx »

Hi Richard,
Thank you for that. The wheels have been redone in the past and the outer lip looks machined, but not lacquered strangely- was hard to tell as the shine is long gone!
richardw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 20:37
Yours are Speedline wheels - the style was originally designed by Oliver Winterbottom for the Esprit, then used on some S2.2 elites, all S2.2 eclats, and the early Excels before they moved to 15” wheels. There was an iron cross wheel available as an option, sourced from Toyota I believe.

The wheels just need silver painting/powder coating, nothing special. Mine originally had diamond cut rims but this can only be done a limited number of times as the metal becomes too thin. Also, the finish is not durable - mine only lasted 3 years before needing refurbishment.

One thing that does damage the wheels unnecessarily is the centre caps, which are held in by a strong steel circlip. It’s almost impossible to remove these without damaging the wheel and/or cap, so I have sourced some 50mm Lotus badge stickers to fit on the original caps (which are damaged) and have sourced some wire circlips which should just ‘ping’ out - will report more fully once I’ve got the job finished.

Cheers, Richard

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

This is an early Excel that hasn't been restored or re painted - Club Lotus Staffs member
Sorry can't see the wheels as well as I would like.

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Colour: calypso red

Post by Ray-s »

Hi Keith I think mine are toyota cost me £ 300 to have mine resprayed would not recommend powder coating heard a lot of bad reports ...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Both of the above pictures show Lotus Speedlines.

I’ve had bad durability experiences with paint as well as being aware of problems with powder coating. Bottom line is, if the surface is chipped, it will corrode unless you catch it immediately. Obviously if it’s poorly prepared prior to coating, you’ll have problems anyway.

Cheers, Richard

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

These are the toyota 'Iron Crosses'

Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Colour: calypso red

Post by Ray-s »

:( Have to say they do look nicer than my speedlines..
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

This picture shows the clean lines of the Toyota wheels quite well. I think the perspective on the other picture above doesn't do them justice (?semi-fish eye lens?).

Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 21:07
.....I think the perspective on the other picture above doesn't do them justice (?semi-fish eye lens?).
No idea on that.

It was just the first shot I found on the forum to show differentiation between the lotus speed lines and toyota cross.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Keithmanx
Verified Poster

Post by Keithmanx »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m keen to got the wheels looking as originally produced, it’s a shame I can’t see clearly on the pic of the unrestored car whether the outer edge is machined/lacquered or paint.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

This is an early Excel that hasn't been restored or re painted

I've blown the pic up a tad and on my screen (24 inch) the rim edge and dish appear painted same as the hub area. :)
Peter K

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by Tanz »

This picture of the same car at Beaumanor Car Show - 'evolution picture' shows the wheels a bit better. I know for a fact that the body has never been painted but the wheels look a bit too good to me.

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Keithmanx
Verified Poster

Post by Keithmanx »

Yes, I would say they may have been refurbished looking at that close up. Thanks for all the assistance!

Marcus
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Marcus »

Please learn from my mistake:- I have had my Speedline wheels cleaned up and powder coated - my wheels now look amazing, but I have no idea as to what they will look like in 3 years time. Previous experience with powder coating tells me that the better the preparation work, the longer the protection will last. The issue is that unless one is actually watching the preparation, one has to trust that the work has been done properly - the only way to know is to wait several years!!. As such, it is difficult to actually say that powder coating is the perfect solution or should be avoided at all costs.

Now, coming back to my problem, the circlips from the middle of the Speedline wheels are difficult to get off without breaking them (I agree with Richard on this matter). Luckily LotusBits were able to supply me with new ones. My local sign writer was able to screen print the Lotus badge onto a piece of 1mm thick stainless steel and get it cut out to 51mm diameter to fit the wheel - so far, so good. The problem is now that the thickness of powder applied to the Speedline wheel is too thick, so I am unable to to get the new CirClip and stainless steel insert with Lotus logo on in into the allocated space in the centre of the wheel. I am planning on shaving 0.5mm off the perimeter of my new inserts, I know that it is still going to be tight, and I am not 100% sure that it will work. (Work in progress on this matter)

Incidentally, should the inserts be black writing on a silver background, or silver writing on a black background?? (I prefer the second option) Looking at the various photographs in this thread, we can see both options, but which one is correct??