tyres for 14 inch rims

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

worzel4u
Regular Poster
Year: 0

tyres for 14 inch rims

Post by worzel4u »

Me again I'm afraid-

Anybody else out there trying to source 205/60/VR14 tyres?

It appears that these are no longer being manufactured. I don't really wish to switch to 15 inch rims since I like the slightly higher gearing and actually like the look of the originals.

Any info would be appreciated.

John

worzel4u
Regular Poster

tyres

Post by worzel4u »

Hi

Thanks for the reply- interesting- who are your insurers- I've contacted Equity Redstar who insure me via Footman James and they've told me (last Tuesday in fact) that I cannot fit H rated tyres. They suggested I contact the club for sources.

You might be interested to know that this contradicts the advice I was given by Footman James who said there'd be no problem. Then again, despite 9 letters to and for between FJ and myself they still seemed confused by the differences between wheels and tyres and kept repeating that provided the wheels match the specification of the vehicle" there'd be no problem fitting them"

Well, actually there is no problem fitting them (obviously) but that is not what I was asking. I wonder how many times brokers give out info to owners without apparently checking with the insurers who might have to foot the bill in case of mishap.

This issue is one I'm not going to let go and I'm now pursuing this thru the Club and await their response. A similar problem years ago with HR tyres for an elan brought an immediate response from Royal Insurance who confirmed in writing within 3 days that fitting SR tyres would not affect cover.

I'll post the outcome when I know.

John

83Excel
Senior Poster
Model: Evora 400
Colour: Racing Green

Post by 83Excel »

BSIL via Confused.com.

I did plan to use FJ, but it was Saturday afternoon and I had just bought the car so needed to sort it quickly, and the deal was good. Perhaps I won't be moving it at renewal!

The only proviso they had was that the tyre sizes were the same, specifically they did not have an issue with the speed rating because 130mph is more than enough for road use. I also know it was referred to a senior staff member and not just agreed because it was the easy way out.

I have a friend who runs a Rover P6 who has had the same response from another Insurer, this time one of the major companies so looks like you are being treated bit harshly.
Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red Leather interior.
Mini F56 John Cooper Works for the laydee

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

I had a similar problem a few years ago with the tyres on my wife's Ford Granada. A scummy tyre dealer fitted tyres of a slightly lower rating than I had asked for, without informing me first. I had of course asked for o.e. rated tyres.

I contacted Ford, the AA and Goodyear. They all said the same thing, that if the car was involved in an accident, we could be on very dodgey ground insurance-wise. After much arguing with the branch manager, I went over his head, and the now second-hand tyres were replaced F.O.C. with the correct spec.

Incidentally, the rating specified by the car manufacturer does not only take into account top speed. They specify a rating for the acceleration, braking and sidewall loading as well. So it's not unusual to see a car with a rating far higher than the top speed would seem to require.
This particularly applies to a Lotus which may typically see much higher cornering forces than most other cars.

When you think what a hard life a tyre has to endure, I think it would be very unwise to fit a tyre with a lower rating than original i.e. a lower safety margin

All IMHO of course.
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

worzel4u
Regular Poster

14 inch tyres

Post by worzel4u »

Hi "Redexcel"

Interesting comments from you- I'm afraid I've got my teeth into this one-how many owners of cars with 14 inch rims have been told (verbally or otherwise) by Footman James that fitting HR rated tyres is ok. To qualify for "yes" you need to be insured with Equity Redstar.

Help me on this one- I need some "ammo".

I personally think this is the sort of situation where it seems "give the owner any answer to get rid of him" applies. I speak from limited experience on this since I know a few people in the insurance game!

John

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

I would would not be happy to fit lower spec tyres to my car.
All I can suggest is you get some later 15" wheels with appropriate tyres.
Not a lot of help, I know, but you are in a difficult situation.
Have you tried contacting the people who make tyres in obsolete sizes?
From the current issue of Classic & Sportscar.....
Longstone Classic Tyres 01302 711123
www.longstonetyres.co.uk or
www.colwaytyres.co.uk/
You may have to consider a different tyre profile to get the V rating.

Even if they cannot help, they may be able to suggest someone who can.
Paul

worzel4u
Regular Poster

tyres for 14 inch rims

Post by worzel4u »

Hello all

Sorry I'm back again on my soapbox.

Firstly- thanks to all who replied and to Colin in particular.

I suspect that out there somewhere are VR rated tyres sitting on the "back shelf" because nonbody wants them. The problem in accessing these might be one of age related deterioration.

I wonder just what the situation would be if it was conclusively proven that VR tyres are nowhere to be had- would the insurers be justified in saying either switch to different rims (could they insist in fact) or don't use the car.

At the present moment I am waiting for a reply to this from the club- the insurers suggested I put the question to them of where to source the correct tyres although I don't really see much mileage in this idea particularly if an internet search doesn't produce anything.

John

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Re: tyres for 14 inch rims

Post by Redexcel »

worzel4u wrote: I wonder just what the situation would be if it was conclusively proven that VR tyres are nowhere to be had- would the insurers be justified in saying either switch to different rims (could they insist in fact) or don't use the car.

I suspect they would simply say that they were not prepared to insure the car with tyres of a lower rating than O.E.
What to do about it is your problem.
Paul

Spav
Site Admin

Post by Spav »

I have a friend who runs a tyre company and he is looking for 205/60VR14's for me. he does think he knows a supplier that has the right size and rating. I will be taking 8 if he gets them. I am happy to pass his number on if he finds a source and any of you guys are interested.

On-line parts manual

Full access with a one-off payment of 20GBP. Enter your username and click the button. You will receive a PM with access details, once payment is complete. This is a manual process, please allow 1 or 2 days for access to be granted. Payment will show as Span6.
Username:
http://www.fromdusktildawn.net

83Excel
Senior Poster

Post by 83Excel »

If you could it would be appreciated, I'd rather have the right ones.

Hope your contact has more success than mine.

Cheers.

83Excel
Senior Poster

Post by 83Excel »

Since imitation is the highest form of flattery I thought I'd pose the 14inch tyre problem to Lotus as well. Response as follows:

"Since the Excel has a top speed of 135 mph, the safest advice would be to go
for the 195/60VR14s although these would be slightly smaller rolling
diameter. I suspect that in practice, many people will fit the 205 HRs.
Lotus have not tested the Excel with 195s, but if fitted as a vehicle set,
the balance of the car is likely to remain satisfactory. Be aware that the
215s fitted on Excel 15 in. wheels are also now something of a problem.

Yours sincerely,

Dave Massey - Technical Service
Senior Technical Author
Lotus Cars Ltd., Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk. NR14 8EZ.
Tel: +44 (0)1953 608247
e-mail: dmassey@lotuscars.co.uk"

> Country: United Kingdom
> Department: Technical
> Comments: Myself and a couple of other enthusiasts run early Excels with
> 14 inch rims. We are all in need to new tyres but are unable to source the
> original spec 205/60VR14 size. Bridgestone and Goodyear have both
> confirmed that they have ceased production.
> We are left with the option of either 195/60VR14 or 205/60HR14. Could I
> please ask for your opinion as to the best suitable alternative or is this
> a case of being forced to replace the original wheels with 15s.
>
> I would much appreciate your viewpoint.
> Many Thanks

micha
Regular Poster

Post by micha »

how many times should i re-post my message:

V-rated tyres in that size arent produced anymore since years...and wont be produced anymore for the near future!!! discussion-finished!!!

the only way how we here in germany can sort-out that problem legally is, to fit winter-tyres with the M+S code and put a lable on dash which says: With M+S only 180km/h.

but even M+S tyres in that size get even rare...and they arent really made for summer use.

or you have to fit later 15inch rims on your excel...but this may cost a bit more than new h-tyres....and thats also a reason why early excels/eclats and elites are lower priced!!

chris knowles
Senior Poster

Post by chris knowles »

Micha, please note the date for these postings. :?

This thread is from Jan 27 2006, not 2007. Please also note comments in todays "For Sale" part of the forum.

Chris :D

Skeggy
Senior Poster

Post by Skeggy »

The date got me as well :oops:
Some of them are just driving a racing car but some are racing drivers.

Highland Lotus
Junior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1984

1984 Excel

Post by Highland Lotus »

I have 205/60 R14 88H from Kwik Fit £55 fitted, does the job for me
Del
Derek