Metal or rubber valves?

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Redlotus
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Claret
Year: 1988

Metal or rubber valves?

Post by Redlotus »

I have a couple of slow punctures, well one and one not so slow. Wheel off and tyre looks almost new and no sign of a problem so i am assuming the valve which is metal and i am guessing original equipment.

Question is should i stick with these if they are still available for your average quick fit place or change to rubber ones. Any thoughts before i take them in monday.

Simon

Robert West
Verified Poster

Metal or Rubber valves?

Post by Robert West »

Hi Simon I would be serprised if its the valves as they still use rubber to fix to the rim. My tyres loose pressure over time.They used to be very bad before i had them powder coated, found out the alloy had gone pourous. Robert

Steve C
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Steve C »

I've had the valves start leaking around the seal over time. Metal valves don't tend to get changed when the tyres are and over time a combination of corrosion of the alloy and hardening of the rubber around the metal valve will cause a slow leak. I spotted this on my car with washing up liquid and water poured around the valve.

Redlotus
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Claret
Year: 1988

Post by Redlotus »

Thanks for the response.

Robert

This is a new one on me so i hope its not that. Is this a common problem?

Steve

I am off to sneak the washing up liquid out of the house and try that test to confirm. Yep leak at base of valve.

Simon

Robert West
Verified Poster

Metal or Rubber valves?

Post by Robert West »

Simon
Sorry Simon didnt wont to worry you. My alloys are non standard and are about 15 years old so assumed all would suffer with corrosion to some degree.