17" wheels

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

smithersoli
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1986

17" wheels

Post by smithersoli »

I have managed to purchase a set of OZ WTCC alloys which are 17x9 with the correct stud pattern and an et22 ofset. I haven't got tyres on them yet, so can't check for clearance issues, but will do so and report back my findings for other excel owners.

Am hoping that maybe with a slightly narrower tyre very slighty stretched that they will fit and look awesome, although they might need a 10mm spacer or so. think they are an Oz super tourismo style, but they have wtcc stamped in them.

Will also weigh them for those interested with and without tyres against my standard 15's with toyos as a comparison.

Anyone else interested in a set also as my source had a few left?

yroll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: P02 pearl white

Re: 17" wheels

Post by yroll »

smithersoli wrote:I have managed to purchase a set of OZ WTCC alloys which are 17x9 with the correct stud pattern and an et22 ofset. I haven't got tyres on them yet, so can't check for clearance issues, but will do so and report back my findings for other excel owners.

Am hoping that maybe with a slightly narrower tyre very slighty stretched that they will fit and look awesome, although they might need a 10mm spacer or so. think they are an Oz super tourismo style, but they have wtcc stamped in them.

Will also weigh them for those interested with and without tyres against my standard 15's with toyos as a comparison.

Anyone else interested in a set also as my source had a few left?
Great info! Thumbs up!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Do you mean these?

If so, not to my taste -centres are too "outboard" /"convex" / "domed" . Most modern wheels are like that - and they look a little out of place on an Excel with a short wheel base / large front and rear overhangs.

If I went for larger diameter rims I'd still prefer to stay with old school dished wheels on the Excel -like these..... 8)

Peter K

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h39 ... 476812.jpg

Only got them late last night and without tyres, so propped up against my car. I agree re the normal shape, but these are different with the centre recessed.

Might be able to get other wheels if anyone is interested, same sizes, slightly different styles as below.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h39 ... bc97a3.jpg
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h39 ... d0b948.jpg

Slight damage, pad burn on inside of one wheel and minor touches, all straight and balanced, no cracks etc. PM me for details.

Oli

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

Ok guys, am about to trial fit a couple of wheels only and check for clearance, anyone want any particular photos whilst am doing that, or areas to check for?

I have got approximate prices for these. Set of five ats wheels for £450 and the set of four rays wheels for £350.

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

Will post photos tomorrow, apologies in advance for the poor quality due to the light.

Good news is that the wheels look like they will fit a treat with the right tyres. Rear is no problem, i think as shown by patrik, will probably go for 235/40/17 here.

Front is a bit tighter, with rub marks on the rear of the front arch on my current 205 50 15's and coming close to the arb on full lock. Might go for a 215 40 17 here, but will try the 235 for clearance first.

ttedj
Senior Poster
Model: excel se
Colour: vulcan grey
Year: 1989

Post by ttedj »

If you are getting rub marks on the rear arch, try replacing the ARB to chassis bushes. I was getting the same thing. Bushes looked ok but once removed had gaping holes in them. Stopped all rubbing on 215 50 15. Now on 205 50 15 so even less chance.

I would be interested to see the photos. I'm still un decided on the stretched rubber look wont be going for such wide rims but I am actively looking for some new probably 16 x 7 or 8 wheels. Fed up with the soft OZ alloys going out of balance due to potholes on the appalling roads in Lincolnshire.

Ted
1989 Lotus Excel
1974 MG Midget
2006 AUDI A4 3.0 Tdi quattro
2008 VW TIGUAN (wife's)
2 Black cats

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

Was planning on replacing in the near future, along with mike's coilover kit but figures I would try and get an MOT first.

pictures below, apologies again for the quality. Was late at night.

[Moderator note : Fixed the photos for you - all you need to is copy the bit of code, that Photobucket offers, which begins with [ IMG ] and paste it here for your photos to appear ]

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

Ok Guys, final pleas for interest.

Have managed to negotiate a bit of a deal with the guy selling these, but I will need to go and pay cash for them tonight. Am prety sure I can cover my costs flogging them on on ebay, but would prefer to offer them to guys on here first in the spirit of the forum.

I can get the Rays alloys set of four for £300 and the ATS alloys x5 for £375 see the earlier pictures for styles

If you look on the various websites these retail at approx 300 euro each! They are used and have slight marks, but all have been spun up on a wheel balancer and are straight with no cracks etc. They weigh literally nothing for such a wide rim and are the perfect ofset for our cars ET22 (as they are wider) with a low profile tyre ((235 / 245) 40 17

The OZ alloys I have still have the original date sticker of 2008 on them and all of these were used by Chevrolet on the Lacetti WTCC car (google Lacetti WTCC and look for the one with white wheels!)

Am trying to get exact figures on the weight, but afraid my bathroom scales are bust at the moment.

Please PM me if of interest.

Oli

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

Wheels are now on ebay with some better pictures. Look at Olismithkent my username!

Oli

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

Fitted wheels on car last night, bit tight at the front, but i think a lower profile tyre will make it work. these are 245 45 17's at the moment. looking for 245 40's to try if anyone has a spare.

Oli

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Ozzy_UK »

Look great matey...

nice one.

Oz
Oran Maliphant
---------------------------------------
Mercedes B250e “Tesla” 2015
MGF 1.8i Steptronic CVT 2001
Honda Civic Type R EP3 2004
Volvo V70 T5 2002
Lotus Excel 4.0l V8 1987 #2470

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

got a few more photos on photobucket.

EXCEL,PATRIK.
Verified Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1987

Post by EXCEL,PATRIK. »

Hey.
As probably all have understood, I think our cars fit well with larger wheels.
To have 245 40 17 tires front is too large. According to what I have checked so far is 235 40 17 greater in size, and should also fit on the rim.
Find and talk to your local tire shop, they know best what suits.
The car looks great with your new wheels :D

regards
Patrik
Sweden
Lotus Excel SE -87 red.
Mini 1275 gt -75 red.
Triumph Tiger T110 -54 blue.
Morris Minor S2 -54 green (My wife's car).

smithersoli
Senior Poster

Post by smithersoli »

Morning All, sorry to revive an old thread, but there are loads of linked pictures and plenty of information on here.

I am losing my storage and as a result getting rid of a number of my Excel spares (and likely the car once its finished)

Would anyone be interested in the Oz wheels seen on my car in these photos. They are currently off the car with some knackered tyres (if you want to drop by and check fitment)

Set of 5, need a clean, but all still straight and round, only about 4000 miles on them since the photos. No spacers required and come with the correct bore adapters and a set of correct taper nuts and locking wheel nuts.

Come with the original WTCC stickers and scrutineering stamp, but there are a couple of marks on the outer rim. Message me and I can email proper photos.

Looking for £450 ovno.

Oli