An Excel with 17-inch wheels in Sweden.

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

EXCEL,PATRIK.
Verified Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1987

An Excel with 17-inch wheels in Sweden.

Post by EXCEL,PATRIK. »

A friend of mine has an Excel which he bought new wheels to. So now I'm not the only one to run with 17 inch wheels in Sweden.

The car is a pearl white with black full leather interior, and a HC engine which is very unusual in Sweden.

Nice with black wheels for a white car;-) http://www.lccs.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5487

(Can anyone help me with how to put pictures on the forum, please). Does not work as it did before.

regards
Patrik
Lotus Excel SE -87 red.
Mini 1275 gt -75 red.
Triumph Tiger T110 -54 blue.
Morris Minor S2 -54 green (My wife's car).

STELL
Senior Poster
Model: SE All options :-)
Colour: Black
Year: 1988

Re: An Excel with 17-inch wheels in Sweden.

Post by STELL »

Today i recived my special made spacers.
They are 25 MM thick, and have 4 x 114,3 bolt patern
I'm using 25 MM since , then the car can use Volvo S/V40 Wheels

I've got me a set of Volvo / BBS 16" Wheels, as i like the look of them
Tomorrow i hope to try the things to the car

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

EXCEL,PATRIK. wrote: (Can anyone help me with how to put pictures on the forum, please). Does not work as it did before.
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

^^ That does look nice I have to admit, but it's a great relief to hear that the top design engineers from the F1 strategy group have once again rejected a proposed move away from the 13 inch rim/tyre to an 18 inch low profile set-up:

Main reasons for rejection:
  • 1) The weight would be considerably more compared to a 13 inch rim/tyre set-up.
    2) There will be less grip with 18 inch low profile tyres!
I guess less grip from 18 inch low profiles is down to sidewall compliance and how they might behave under a wide range of downforce loads- which sort of makes sense to me anyway!

Michelin have stated they will not re-enter F1 unless they move to 18 inch (or larger) rims because 13 inch rims have no relevance in today's market.... well I say bring back 13 inch rims for small high performance cars then, - because clearly the top blokes say they are better!
Peter K

STELL
Senior Poster
Model: SE All options :-)
Colour: Black
Year: 1988

Post by STELL »

I'm not that much for large diameter Wheels, but one good thing with them at "everyday cars" is the posibility to have large diameter discbrakes as i see it
Think of our cars with a 13" wheel. I guess it would be realy scary when you'd like to stop the speed you're driving at :shock:

Just a thought

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

STELL wrote:I'm not that much for large diameter Wheels, but one good thing with them at "everyday cars" is the posibility to have large diameter discbrakes as i see it
Think of our cars with a 13" wheel. I guess it would be realy scary when you'd like to stop the speed you're driving at :shock:

Just a thought
True but Elite/Eclat/Excel do OK on 14 inch wheels. I guess 13 inch would be a step too small unless you developed a high pressure brake to handle the extra heat to stop fade (which isn't impossible). The bonus would be the extra weight saving in the smaller brake too.

It would be interesting to see a photoshop of an Excel with 13 inch 9J rims and 225/60/13 tyres (~same as 215/50/15) ... lettered /Whitewalls (to make them look like low profiles) - even better! :)
Peter K