Blowing the trumpet for Speedline wheels

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

marky
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: white
Year: 1987

Blowing the trumpet for Speedline wheels

Post by marky »

Having bought a very nice spare wheel from another member some time last year I now have 5 good 15" Speedlines. They must be really good wheels. I have been driving for 38 years and the Excel is the only car that I've used that I never have to put any air in the tyres!! They never go down - I check them every few weeks and they have not gone down - not even a fraction of a pound! In 18 months I have put less than a pound into them. I am very impressed!!

Mark.

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Re: Blowing the trumpet for Speedline wheels

Post by Simpatico »

IMHO "old" alloys didn't corrode anywhere like as bad as their modern counterparts.
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

One one of my current cars, one tyre goes down noticeably but the coating has peeled near the rim, on the newly refurbished ones, I occasionally check them but the only air I seem to have to put in is as the weather cools, so the air contracts.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I had a leaky tyre on the Clan (old school wolfrace rims)...so bad it went down overnight no matter how much air I put in.
  • * Sprayed the rim/tyre bead area with Windolene (wheel off flat on ground) to find the leak and there where many (bubbles) on the inside bead.

* Removed the valve insert completely (allows the tyre to completely deflate and compress when standing on it).

* Sprayed more Windolene onto the leaky bead and then stood on the wall of the tyre to allow the Windolene to penetrate the bead area.

* Jumped up 'n down a bit to manipulate/move the bead.

* Refitted the valve insert, pumped tyre to pressure.

* Stayed inflated ever since!
Have done this to two leaky tyres/wheels now and worked both times. :D

Don't completely understand why it works -but hey ho! :?
Peter K

MalcolmH
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso
Year: 1988

Post by MalcolmH »

It was me who sold Mark the Speedline. Glad to hear you're still pleased with it!

My car has the Oz wheels, and in the couple of years I've owned it the rear n/s tyre has always gradually gone down. In advance of my Brittany trip, I took it to my usual tyre place (who are excellent) expecting to to shell out for a new tyre, or at least a repair.

They said they'd tested everything, and could find nothing whatsoever wrong with the tyre or rim. They pumped it up again for me, but - lo and behold - it went noticeably down again within a couple of days. I was taking the footpump with me anyway, so just made a mental note to regularly check & re-inflate it whilst away.

As the boot was going to be fully loaded, I put a bit more psi in (taking the rears up to 30, fronts to 28). And to my surprise, both rears stayed fully inflated for the week-long trip! And the n/s one still shows no sign of going down. So for some reason that extra bit of psi did the trick.
"I never let progress get in the way of my reluctance to change"

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Yes - it sounds like the bead needed settling/bedding -in. High pressure, plus extended manipulation/flexing/heating under heavier than normal load during the trip will have done it.

Not a million miles away from the reason mine stayed inflated after static manipulation under my feet, I guess - but a different approach.

Tyre fitters are pretty limited when it comes to the (air) bleeding obvious! :wink:
Peter K

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

Very true, Peter.

It's not often that my first-choice way of dealing with a problem, ie; more or less do nothing, actually works. But in this case it seems to have!! :D

marky
Senior Poster
Colour: white

Post by marky »

I love the windolene and stomping technique!! - have to remember that one in case I ever need it in the future.

Glad you got your tyre sorted out Malcolm - hope you had a good trip.

Mark.

MalcolmH
Senior Poster

Post by MalcolmH »

I did, Mark - thanks for asking. I've put a bit more detail in my 'Fan Fail' thread under 'General'.

smithersoli
Senior Poster
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1986

Post by smithersoli »

I always ask tyre fitters to overpressure the tyres and then let then down to the correct pressure for this reason (i swapped wheels and tyres around a lot at my local quickfit when I was trying to make my 17's fit under the arches.

Amazing how a leak or a bulge in a sidewall shows up more at 40 psi than it does at 25 and if you don't run the car on it, then you aren't going to damage a tyre doing so, as the dynamic loads are far greater. I also found I had greater control over the pressure being accurate in the tyres cold that way.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

Having watched while assorted car and motorcycle tyres have been fitted to various loose wheels that I have taken to tyre shops (including a full set for the Excel, which filled the back of the Picanto), many tyre fitters seem to remove the valve core (so that the air rushes in and will rush right out again) and inflate to around 60psig to seat the bead in the rim BUT they don't seem to do much more than bounce each wheel a couple of times and then deflate the tyre rapidly. So I think it can be very hit or miss whether or not a good seal is made with the rim. The chap who fitted the tyres to my Speedlines took his time and did a good job (it was also a nice warm day), and I very rarely top up the pressure (2 or 3 times a year and only 1 or 2 psig).
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!