Maximum Offset?

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Maximum Offset?

Post by Phantasm »

I've been reading up on the wheels for the Excel and looking at getting winter tires. I'd rather have two complete sets and am wondering what is the maximum offset that the car will accept?
I realize a higher offset will tuck the wheels further inside the fender and will affect handling and looks. But, how much can it take?
+19 should be easy as they Supra wheels have the same. what about +32? +40? +45? Where do they start to rub and really foul things up? A more narrow wheel width might also make fitment a tad easier with a narrow wonter tire. I'm willing to go 14 or 15". thoughts?
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Maximum Offset?

Post by AndyC »

I think you'll find that much beyond standard and it will rub, there are comments about tyres that are slightly wider (10mm) than standard doing just that, and that only equates to 5mm change on the position of the inner and outer edges.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH REGARDS TO POSITIVE OFFSET AND NEGATIVE INSET!!!!!

ET - relates to negative inset these days. Most Jap crap and and the like are negative from zero point of reference.
Please note if I have screwed this up from the norm... it shows you how critical terminology is!!
My wheels are set positve inset/offset - I will check tomorrow BUT terminology is ultra critical, as I got a roasting from my wheel supplier.
I will update once more with it and less celebratory from moving premises this eve.

Supra old school 8 spoke wheels are +19et (extenal offset) +19mm external from centreline.
Dog bowl speedlines (+8et). + 8 mm external from centreline
Late model excel 1989 on are +0ET - ie 0mm central offset

smithersoli
Senior Poster
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1986

Post by smithersoli »

Have got a set of 17s, think they were ET22 on my car to take into account a wider wheel 9". 235 40 17 on the front and 245 45 17 on the rear. no rubbing with standard suspension other than a very slight kiss at full lock on the anti roll bar. Passed the last couple of MOT's like that, but the one before they made me put the original wheels on to pass.

Happy to measure up and take close pictures if you want exact measurements.

here is the discussion previously

Thread is this one http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtop ... els+wheels

smithersoli
Senior Poster
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1986

Post by smithersoli »

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Excellent resource for comparing different ofsets, wheels and combinatiosn with tyres.

Oli