Moderator: Board Moderators

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Excel SE Rear Shock Absorbers for sale

Post by Sirclip »

Bought from Lotusbits around May21. I fitted these but didn't like them (too soft for me) so I've bought some Protech adjustables. They can't have done much more than 200 miles. I think I paid £110 - for sale at £69 delivered.

ianhateswork
Junior Poster
Model: se
Colour: red

Re: Excel SE Rear Shock Absorbers for sale

Post by ianhateswork »

mail sent .....................

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

If you have second thoughts Ian, I'll be first reserve.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

Sold to Ian.

Thanks.

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Bought from Lotusbits around May21. I fitted these but didn't like them (too soft for me) so I've bought some Protech adjustables.
How were the SJ Protechs by comparison Sirclip?

I'm not happy with rear of my car and thinking about the adjustable Protect and new springs from SJ.

Tony

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I have them on mine and been ok albeit the lowest setting is very close to max normal height so little adjustment down.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Sirclip
Senior Poster

Post by Sirclip »

MetBlue wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 09:21
Bought from Lotusbits around May21. I fitted these but didn't like them (too soft for me) so I've bought some Protech adjustables.
How were the SJ Protechs by comparison Sirclip?

I'm not happy with rear of my car and thinking about the adjustable Protect and new springs from SJ.

Tony
The Protechs were much better, manly due to the fact that they can be adjusted to suit. I don't think that they are terribly well built as the adjusters become reluctant to move after a short period. Also, the lower spring platforms have to be wound round off the threaded body of the shock to achieve the correct ride height.

If only Nitron made some - now they would be great.
Martin.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I've been informed AVO shock absorbers are no longer trading!
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

The Protechs were much better, manly due to the fact that they can be adjusted to suit.
Thanks Martin. Food for thought.
I removed both side shock and springs over the weekend, mainly to decide if I should invest in new springs at the same time. I had two issues - very harsh ride with 'clunks' quite frequently from the rear, and one side is sitting slightly higher.

Currently, one spring is 6mm longer than the other. Was fitted to the high side. Both springs are the same rate - (set end to end with an M12 stud down the centre. With 25mm compression on each spring, the longer spring still 6 mm difference).
Refitted with the longer spring on the low side of the car. Made absolutely no difference 😠. Previously high side still high by about the same amount.
I did find though that the top damper mount was fretting slightly on both sides. The lower large washer under the rubber was dished down on both sides. Strange really as there should be no significant load going through the mount. The step flange in the cups were a little long though, so filed about 1mm off. Also took the rubber protruding nib down slightly.

The clunks seem much improved, if not gone. Time will tell. Would never have thought the ride could be so sensitive to the top damper mount.

Tony

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

MetBlue wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 21:30
Both springs are the same rate - (set end to end with an M12 stud down the centre. With 25mm compression on each spring, the longer spring still 6 mm difference).
That test doesn't tell you they are the same rate. If you take two items, one 6 mm longer than the other, then reduce the length of both by the same amount, of course there will still be a 6 mm difference! You either need to apply an identical force to both (e.g. squash each of them in turn with the same heavy thing), and see what the change of length is, or measure the force required to compress each by the same displacement. Given the fairly massive forces involved, this is a tricky measurement to do safely!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

That test doesn't tell you they are the same rate.
I'm happy my test did confirm they are the same rate, but my description wasn't very clear.
I laid the 2 springs end to end on an open jawed Workmate ( Just stopped them rolling away :) ) . Total length now about 26".
I then passed a long M12 threaded rod through both springs ( you could say the springs were in series), plate across each end and drew about 50mm compression into the assembly (Oh do like mixing units :roll: ).

So both springs saw the same load at the same time. If one was softer than the other, I'd have expected the soft one to maybe compress 30mm and the stronger one only 20mm ( for example).
I measured lengths about every 4mm of compression, and each time, each spring showed 2mm of compression.

I'd really liked to have had a load cell I could have put in series also under the M12 Nut, but didn't. All I know is they are the same rate, but no idea what the actual rate is.

Tony

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Fair enough!! Yes, your methodology ensures the same load on both, so your approach is sound, at least within the limits of how accurately you can measure the length.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)