Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Lotus Elite project needs finishing

Post by TrevorK »

I saw this Lotus Elite on Facebook Marketplace
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item ... ref=search

I contacted the seller and he sent me a load more photos. It's had a repaint and a lot of work underneath. It does run but the carburettors need rebuilding although the kits are included in the sale. The passenger and rear seats have leopard print covers which, I suppose, is why it says they are mismatched.

The car is in Walsall. One of the rear brake bleed nipples is broken off and they need bleeding which is a pain but, with not too much effort, it should be a very nice example. Unfortunately it's too much work for me to do on my drive or, more likely, in the road next to the house but it could be of interest to someone on here.
What car is that?

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Lotus Elite project needs finishing

Post by MetBlue »

Why would someone get it so close, then sell off as 'not having the time to finish'?
Looks a good starting point if the respray is anything like quality, but something does not quite stack up for me here.
Trevor : don't suppose any of the photos show the VIN and engine numbers? Interested for the register.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

TrevorK
Senior Poster

Post by TrevorK »

I've had another look through the photos he sent but I can't read the VIN when I zoom in on the plate. I can see some numbers on the bellhousing flange of the block but, again, when I zoom.in, they are too blurred to make out.

I suppose there could be a load of reasons why he is having to sell such as injury, arthritis, illness, loss of workshop, a new project. I was tempted but changing the rear brake nipple on the drive or, more probably, in the street does not appeal.
What car is that?

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

. One of the rear brake bleed nipples is broken off and they need bleeding which is a pain
Just occurred to me the rear bleed nipples are very accessible ( one of the few things that is on an elite rear suspension). It's got drums on the rear and the slave cylinder has an exit pipe running under the diff, with a bleed nipple on the end. If it's truly the nipple that's sheared, repair would be pretty easy by remaking the pipe end fitting on the car.

Go on Trevor. You know you want to 😉

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

TAR
Regular Poster
Model: Elite Type 75
Colour: blue

Post by TAR »

You'd pay 6k plus just for a good respray which means the car is essentially free :)

Looks like a great project.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

That is sooooo tempting!!! I do fancy an Elite or Eclat and don’t fancy painting one.

TrevorK
Senior Poster

Post by TrevorK »

The owner has rebuilt the carbs and it's now running well so he has decided to keep it and put it back on the road. I don't blame him.
What car is that?