Rust In Petrol Tank

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: Rust In Petrol Tank

Post by Alan_M »

KLM wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 21:02

i changed gauges a while ago and so the fuel gauge reads backwards, if anyone know of a alternative sender unit that would work, that would be great , otherwise i can buy that spyder device thingy.
You can get a little electronic box of magic that allows any sender to be used with any gauge. It would allow you to reverse the output and calibrate it. I’ll see if I can find the info.

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Found it quicker than expected, so here you go -

https://spiyda.com/fuel-gauge-wizard-mk3.html

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Just realised you mentioned the spiyda thingy so just ignore me. :roll:

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

ok so this is it.

it has 8 rounded cone shaped metal things inside it as well. this was just loose inside the tank.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Snake oil device for unleaded petrol, or octane booster, or green motoring, or unicorn enhancer, or attracts eels, or designed to relieve the wallet....... Hang on... That one might be true !

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

Smug mode engaged. Octane booster as used in Spitfires at war. NO I DID NOT BUY ONE.

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

i might put it back in , who knows, it might keep the crud from building up on the bottom of the tank, although it didn't do a great job last time.

Any way , i have filled the tank with a hot citric acid solution and will leave it overnight on the kitchen worktop, as you do :), wife isn't home yet and it was very convenient for the tap. which made perfect sense to me :)

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

I still have an unused kit for cleaning and recoating tank interiors, cost £50 ish, 20 years ago, available for £20 +postage. I got a new tank instead. Jeff.

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

i would buy that from you, let me know how you want to go about it :)

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

Hello KLM, kit is a Frosts, POR 15 fuel tank repair kit-S208, bottle 'marine clean', bottle 'metal ready', tin 'fuel tank sealer', and an instruction sheet. You should be able to find more details on the Frost Restorer Equipment website. The weight is 3.2 kg, + a bit for packages. Post Office Parcels seem to want about £8, but happy to use any carrier you wish. Let me know if you want it parceled up. Cheers, Jeff.

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

Hi Jeff

i have sent you a PM regarding that kit, I'm not sure if the pm has been successful though .

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

No, nothing yet. Jeff.

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

Look what popped up on EBay, ref. 272916908125, maybe I should buy one. Jeff.

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

lol

i happen to have one for sale. :D

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

Another update.

So after trying the por15 kit (which wasnt successful) i went back to trying citric acid solution, but using the proper ratio of citric acid to water (1-10) . it does a good job, but then you have to rinse it out and dry the tank as fast as possible . i bought a cheapish heat gun to do this but it was still a struggle. As the tank is baffled it is near impossible to remove all sediments. so i turned to a place i took my radiator too (they also repair and refurbish tanks.

Cropper and Jones in Ellesmere port. They cut 2 square holes in the top and flush the tank out and then put in some rust solution ect. they had it a week and it came back shiny and new inside. they charged £130. in hindsight i should of gone there first. i have refitted the tank and put new filters on and it has clearly worked . the petrol is now clear instead of being varnished.

One thing i need help with and i hope someone on here can do that, is how in gods name do you refit the filler neck rubber seal ? i bought a new one as my old one was a bit hard where petrol had dribbled on it over years. but even the new one i cant get right all the way round, i have about 1-2 inches left where i just cant get the seal to tuck into the gap in the body work.