Some questions about cam belt replacement and tensioning?

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Some questions about cam belt replacement and tensioning?

Post by Alan_M »

I have been reading up on the subject of cam belt replacement and tensioning and have a couple of questions before I tackle this job.

What are people's thoughts on using an iPhone app and the the acoustic method to check tension? Has anyone done this and how did it compare for accuracy?

Should the tensioner bearing be replaced each time the belt is changed, or just change if inspection shows any problems?

POD2100
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Re: Some questions about cam belt replacement and tensioning

Post by POD2100 »

I've use this method as a double check and was very pleased with the results.
I used an old HTC phone with a tuning app and then checked with a Kriket and the twist method. (I am aware neither of these are proper methods but they work for me)
Don't forget that to obtain the correct frequency requires the engine set (from memory) I think to 30 BTDC?

The belt was run for 3 years without problems.

However i have just replaced the belt again and was unable to get a repeatable / stable reading on my Iphone 5S this may have been down to the app or the phone of course.

I replace the tensioner bearing every time as the cost is negligible compared with the effort required to replace the belt.

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

I've not tried an app on a smart phone/ device, so I don't know what their limits are. I use an instrument tuner called TuneIt! on a laptop with a boom microphone (Harry Potter's wand). It has a 'Set-up' section that allows you to play with some settings, and I've found that narrowing the bandwidth to little more than the target range (ie, ~75-135 Hz) eliminates all the stray noise and produces a cleaner, more repeatable reading.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Last edited by Esprit2 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Thanks for replies. I have just purchased the Gates power grip 5168NS belt from my local motor factors. From information I've read (written by Tim) I believe these belts are 3% narrower? I assume this would make a difference to the frequency when correctly tensioned, so I have also invested in a Gates Krikit to check tension. I will tension with the Krikit and then see what frequency I get and post back.