Rust In Petrol Tank

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

KLM
Regular Poster

Rust In Petrol Tank

Post by KLM »

Hello

When i updated my fuel pump system a few months ago i removed the original petrol filter and found it full of rust. in my updated system i used a clear glass version so that i could see how much rust was coming from the tank, and after only a couple of hundred miles there was enough for me to be concerned. so for the next couple of hundred miles i fitted a second filter in line with the first to see if any rust was actually getting through. i suspected it was as the car can go from smooth to lumpy with in a few miles of driving. Anyway, the second filter is collecting rust so the one filter isnt enough. but , i realise i need to address the issue of rust in the tank.

my question is, before I pull the tank out, is there a treatment that I can do that could or should improve the situation without removing the tank ?

Kind regards

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: Rust In Petrol Tank

Post by Alan_M »

Don’t think there is anything that can be done without removing the tank. You will need to treat all sides and the especially the top as this is where any condensation will have been rusting the tank.

A well respected system is the POR 15 one.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/por_15_fuel_tank_repair_kit

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

If you end up taking it out - fill it full of a citric acid solution for a couple of days - that will get rid of all the rust - then rinse and dry thoroughly. You could then leave as is or treat further.

Pete

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

Thank you for your reply's.

I was mentally prepared to hear it would be best to take it out. It also gives me the opportunity to try and fit a high pressure petrol pipe (for future mods) . Thank you for the link also.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

KLM - check out this link - might be helpful. Contains a link to a video showing the inside of my tank.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11184&p=85925&hili ... ank#p85925
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

I removed the tank this afternoon. There is a metal gauze cylindrical object rolling around in it. I don't mean the little one attached to the outlet. this one is about 6 inches long and about 1.5 inches in diameter. Is it meant to be attached to something ?

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Sounds like the banjo filter has detached
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Sorry to high jack this thread but it is also relevant to the subject. I want to remove the fuel out of my tank as its been in there 16 years i know you can help Stu :) but the the fuel that has come out how do you get rid of waste fuel?
I haven't seen daylight in 17 years now i have been finally rescued :D

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Give it me I burn things :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

If you bring a big can mate you can have it all :) be payment for helping me empty the tank :P.
I haven't seen daylight in 17 years now i have been finally rescued :D

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

the gauze filter in your pic is fine and in place. i have yet another one rolling around in the tank. its is twice as long and 3x wider than the one in the pic

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

i have just checked the service notes and there is no mention of this object. i also checked sj sportscar and again no mention of it. Tomorrow i will try to remove it and upload a pic.

regarding the tank, i waited until the low fuel light had been on for a few miles, before i drained it. it still produced 10litres of lilt coloured petrol. inspecting the inside it has patches of what looks like an oven dish that had overcooked lasagne in it. i have decided to try the cheap route of citric acid, if that doesnt remove it i will try that other kit.

getting the tank out was fairly painless although the 4 screws holding the filler neck in place were slightly inconveniently placed.

i changed gauges a while ago and so the fuel gauge reads backwards, if anyone know of a alternative sender unit that would work, that would be great , otherwise i can buy that spyder device thingy.

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

Could KLM's gauze cylinder be one of the majic octane enhancing crap fests sold last century? NO I didn't buy one. Jeff.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

jeff.fenton wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 21:33
......NO I didn't buy one. Jeff.
How much were they Jeff? :D