Coolant change

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Grant
Regular Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1986

Coolant change

Post by Grant »

Hi,

Looking to replace coolant, probably not been done for sometime and the expansion unit is full of crud so that need a good clean out. So questions are:

1. What's the easiest way to get to the rad drain plug.. Only have jack.

2. What's the best way to get all the old gunk out of the radiator.

3. How to you get rid of air in the system once refilled. Manual say losen one of the heater pipes.. Not sure which one, can see two, dont know if it matters which one.

Any advise greatly revived

Thanks

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Coolant change

Post by Hawaiis0 »

The drain hole is shown as on the right side. You will need to remove the under tray.

Otherwise try the lower hose on left side and flush with hose pipe from the otter switch.

I never bleed mine or had an issue when swapping the rad. Hopefully you wont either.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

When I’ve done mine I just remove the lower hose to drain and top hose to back flush.
When refilling do not use OAT coolant.
Never had problems or having to mess around with bleeding, but tend to do it with front of car uphill - steep drives are at useful for that.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

ISTR that the heater valve is a bypass type - make sure the heater lever is on full hot to ensure old coolant is flushed through the heater matrix.

Pete

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 13:57
The drain hole is shown as on the right side. You will need to remove the under tray.

Otherwise try the lower hose on left side and flush with hose pipe from the otter switch.

I never bleed mine or had an issue when swapping the rad. Hopefully you wont either.
On both my excels, there was a cut out in the undertray under the drain plug so i can just put a spanner on. I thought they all had em! i drain through the plug if its just a drain and refil, but if rad and engine need flushing i leave plug in and disconnect both rad hoses at the rad and flush. never had to bleed system as it seems to bleed itself when engine is running whilst filling system through expansion tank.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops: