Oil filter / cooler take off.

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Oil filter / cooler take off.

Post by MetBlue »

Just doing an oil change and looking for re-assurance.

Manual says " remove filter taking care not to disturb the oil cooler take off" I read it AFTER removing the filter, but hey, isn't that what manuals are for !!!!

Anyway. No chance of not disturbing cooler block. Was coming away from its seat as soon as the filter was loose (pipes seem to push it away, at least that's my excuse).

So for those experts in this, is there an o ring seal of some kind I need to ensure is in correct place, or can I just position and fit new filter without issue?

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Re: Oil filter / cooler take off.

Post by Pete Boole »

It's the oil filter holds the cooler take-off in place. The cooler take-off is just a sliding fit over the 3/4" UNF extension stub; it has a seal on the aux. housing side only. Make sure the notch in the cooler take-off is aligned with the "pip" on the aux. housing (that stops it rotating).

Pete

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Yeah, I agree with Pete - the only thing holding the oil cooler take-off in place is the filter, so it's bound to move a bit when the filter is removed. There's no reason for the seal to shift out of position, but it wouldn't hurt to check, and then just make sure everything is seated nicely when it goes back together.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

Thanks guys.
It looked like the was nothing special going on, but didn't want to see that nice clean oil drawing straight down over the crank if something was easy to miss place.
Oil in later, then we're away. Just been looking at the MPG thread Richard. Think a tweak to my car may be in order. Every NOT says it's technically too rich, and pretty sure 22 -23 is my typical range, even on a run.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

MetBlue wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:00
Just been looking at the MPG thread Richard. Think a tweak to my car may be in order. Every NOT says it's technically too rich, and pretty sure 22 -23 is my typical range, even on a run.
Tony
I was getting 22-23 on open roads, 17 around town, before I rebuilt my engine! All these claims of 30mpg+ from others I thought must be erroneous, mine couldn't be that much worse. Seems it could. Whether the cause was piston rings, valve sealing, dirty carbs, spark timing, or something else, I wouldn't want to speculate - probably all of those.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)