Coolant

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Jonathan

Coolant

Post by Jonathan »

HI guys, <BR><BR>Where do I need to drain the coolant from to flush the system. <BR><BR>Also what does the chamber to the right of the one with the arrow marked coolant hold? <BR><BR>Many thanks <BR><BR>Jonathan

Mark Ellis

Coolant

Post by Mark Ellis »

Bottom hose and when the engine is stone cold (overnight cold) fill the chamber with the arrow to the brim without taking the cap off the other one. Squeez the top hose to help getting air locks out.

Jonathan

Coolant

Post by Jonathan »

Hi Mark, <BR><BR>When you say bottom hose is this the one actually going into the radiator?

Mark Ellis

Coolant

Post by Mark Ellis »

Or the engine but not the top hose because you cant tdain it from there. Its best to take the bonnet off and remove the air intake trunk to get to it all.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Coolant

Post by chrisw2811 »

I added new antifreeze (Mobil dayglo pink stuff suitable for aluminium engine components) to my coolant and seem to have produced a murky grey mixture. It doesn't look right and I wonder if the new stuff reacted with the previous contents (origin unknown). I thought I would drain the system and re-fill with suitable antifreeze. Which antifreeze is best? Why doesn't the hole in the curved plate below the rad line up with the drain plug? Do I have to remove the radiator to get at the drain plug (or a lower hose connection) to drain the system? Thanks, Chris :?

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Ozzy_UK »

could you detail how to do this so i can do it when i take delivery of my '88 Excel...

probably the first job im going to do is coolant replacement, and oil replacement, anything else i should do?

anything to watch out for?

i know its got a new fuel pump, new cam belt and new full Stainless exhaust system...

many thanks.

Oz.
Oran Maliphant
---------------------------------------
Mercedes B250e “Tesla” 2015
MGF 1.8i Steptronic CVT 2001
Honda Civic Type R EP3 2004
Volvo V70 T5 2002
Lotus Excel 4.0l V8 1987 #2470

dpr59
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Silver
Year: 1989

Post by dpr59 »

Fuel filter would be another one to check, mine was horribly when I finally got round to it.
A

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster

Post by Ozzy_UK »

cool, was going to do the air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, plugs, and HT Leads once i had some more to spend on her... as well as a full body/engine steam clean, and paint prep and get the wheels professionally refurbed and re-sprayed...

Oz.
Oran Maliphant
Volvo V70 T5 2002

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

DPR, which antifreeze do you use in your SA? Can you get to the drain plug on the radiator? I like your 'shootout' photo. :D

dpr59
Senior Poster

Post by dpr59 »

Chris,

Mobil. I could get the drain plus out either. Well could get my hand to it would be more exact.

I took the hose off from the header tank and took it as far as I could to the floor.

As a final, I'll get what I can out of you, I ran the engine up for a second or two to pump some out.

From what I put in about a third remained in the system.

Took it upto about 35% antifreeze.
A

dpr59
Senior Poster

Post by dpr59 »

Ozzy,

Get some band aids....

It's a phyical constant of the universe.

Hand in engine bay = bleeding knuckles.
A

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Can't remember where I read this (probably "Which Kit") but the word "bleeding" is the most used in anything to do with cars..

e.g.

"I was about to try bleeding the brakes, but the bleeding bleed nipple was stuck so I used a bigger hammer and now my knuckles are bleeding." ;-)

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster

Post by Ozzy_UK »

i was fortunate that my best mate bought me some mechanics gloves at the autosport show last year, best present i got in ages!

have saved my knuckles so much im going up there to get another pair from the demon tweaks stand again this year!

can highly recomend them!!! and you can even do up little bolts with them on, dont affect handling items or doing tricky jobs!

Oz.
Oran Maliphant
Volvo V70 T5 2002

dpr59
Senior Poster

Post by dpr59 »

Ozzy_UK wrote:and you can even do up little bolts with them on,

Oz.
Never been a problem, always drop them when taking them off. Saves so much time on the re-assembly.

Q.... What happens to all those little nuts and bolts you drop that never show up on the garage floor?
A

83Excel
Senior Poster
Model: Evora 400
Colour: Racing Green

Post by 83Excel »

To get to the drain plug on mine I removed the panel under the radiator. It's only held on by 4 bolts and 2 screws so not difficult. Once removed the drain screw is easily reached from underneath. Assuming of course that the drain is in the same place on the SE models.
Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red Leather interior.
Mini F56 John Cooper Works for the laydee