Brake shoes

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bodgitostrich
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Brake shoes

Post by bodgitostrich »

Not too sure if this should go under parts alternatives, but has anyone out there bought a set of handbrake shoes for their excel? If so, how much and what were they???

Phil

Spav
Site Admin

Post by Spav »

Don't worry if you get your posts in the wrong thread. We will be round one dark night :twisted:

On-line parts manual

Full access with a one-off payment of 20GBP. Enter your username and click the button. You will receive a PM with access details, once payment is complete. This is a manual process, please allow 1 or 2 days for access to be granted. Payment will show as Span6.
Username:
http://www.fromdusktildawn.net

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

The shoes are the same as for the Toyota Celica Supra of around 1986 vintage and I got mine alot cheaper from a Toyota dealer. They are listed in the linings section of a few brake manufacturers, which I would imagine are alot cheaper than Lotus supplied. As an aside, to save others some brass, they only usually only wear out if the linkages / pivots start to sieze. Its worth taking them off every so often and copperslipping the joints.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Redexcel
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Redexcel »

bash wrote:The shoes are the same as for the Toyota Celica Supra of around 1986 vintage and I got mine alot cheaper from a Toyota dealer. They are listed in the linings section of a few brake manufacturers, which I would imagine are alot cheaper than Lotus supplied. As an aside, to save others some brass, they only usually only wear out if the linkages / pivots start to sieze. Its worth taking them off every so often and copperslipping the joints.

Bash
Yes, that's why I had to change mine. Had to replce the discs as well because the shoes had scored the drums badly.
It was my own fault for not checking when the handbrake started to be reluctant to fall easily to the off position. Be warned!!
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

lucky lichfield
Verified Poster

Post by lucky lichfield »

Some info from a Supra MK2 owner that may be of interest:

http://www.tscperformance.com/supra/brakes/brakes.htm

Hope this is of some help.