Choke Me

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bodgitostrich
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Choke Me

Post by bodgitostrich »

Hello again, does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the choke cable, as mine has died, and Paul Matty have sold out, then to tell me that Lotus no longer do them... :(

Phil

MickC
Regular Poster

Post by MickC »

Give www.lotusbits.com a ring. There's a good chance they'll have one

bodgitostrich
Junior Poster

Post by bodgitostrich »

unfortunately, it's not something that they really keep...

Thanks

Phil

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Re: Choke Me

Post by Redexcel »

bodgitostrich wrote:Hello again, does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the choke cable, as mine has died, and Paul Matty have sold out, then to tell me that Lotus no longer do them... :(

Phil
I think they are from an Austin Metro, as are some of the switches, but not 100% sure.
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

The switches were definitely used on Maestro / Montego, not sure about Metro.

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

I serviced an elderly friend's Metro a few years back. I was surprised to find the choke knob and switches looked very familiar. I think the car was made in the mid to late 80s IIRC.
Paul

bodgitostrich
Junior Poster

Post by bodgitostrich »

thanks Cathy, i got an interim replacement till SJ opens on monday...

Phil

(and everyone else of course!!)

Cathy
Junior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1988

Post by Cathy »

Hi Phil,

No problem, and best of luck with your car.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Ive never used the choke on mine, even in the darkest depths of winter when I used to leave it outside. Two pumps on the accelerator before churning and a gentle right foot to nurse it into life is all Ive ever needed.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

It depends how rich your idle setting is as to whether the choke is needed or not.

Mine was ok without choke but too rich for MOT. Turning the CO down to around 2.5% meant that it needs choke for starting and the first 1/4 mile...

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Whan I picked my Excel up from the dock, someone had left a big hand scrawled sign across the dash DO NOT USE CHOKE-FLOODS

'Twas good advice from a docker which I follow religously.

Robert
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

bash wrote:Ive never used the choke on mine, even in the darkest depths of winter when I used to leave it outside. Two pumps on the accelerator before churning and a gentle right foot to nurse it into life is all Ive ever needed.

Bash
This is copied from the Esprit forum....

The Dellorto DHLA Carburettors fitted to the Lotus 900 Series Engines (both NA & Turbo) are fitted with a cold start (Choke) device.
This device is calibrated to start and idle the engine under 'cold' conditions without the operation of the throttle.
The official starting procedure is as follows:-

Extremely Cold Conditiuons - Pull the choke control fully out and operate the starter. The engine should start and run at fast idle. Push in the choke control progressively to maintain even running and return fully as soon as possible without stalling the engine.

Cold Conditions :- Pull the choke control to the mid position and operate the starter. After the engine has started return the control as soon as possible without stalling the engine.

Warm Conditions :- Operate the starter without moving the accelerator pedal.

This is the recommended procedure as published by Dellorto & Lotus.
Various other starting procedures are used by owners.
The usual one is to pump the accelerator pedal 3 times before operating the starter. This will usually work and result in the engine starting but may not continue to run without the throttle being operated. It can also result in a backfire which could cause a fire in the inlet (bad news in an NA as the air filter is close to the carburettor and can catch fire - not so serious on Turbo).

If the choke mechanism is set up properly and the carburettors functioning correctly the 'Choke' is the best and safest way to start the engine.
The starting and running of the engine is reliant on the carburettors being correctly set up - correct fuel pressure, correct float level, needle valve in good condition, correct jetting etc.

I imagine the factory's first concern is always safety of the vehicle, so would recommend the Dellorto procedure in all cases.

So there is a fire risk associated with the pumping method. I think I will continue to use the choke.
Paul

steven popay
Senior Poster
Model: H.C WIDE BODY
Colour: BLACK

choke

Post by steven popay »

when mine was running all i did was start the engine with no choke or pumping then just pulled the choke out for a decent tickover

Cathy
Junior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Red

Post by Cathy »

Hi Phil again,

You can take on board what the guys are saying, and as it's mostly true i have not once needed the choke just a bit of nursing into life in the winter and it's never let me down, but if your like me and want things working as they should then for a few quid what the hell. :)

bodgitostrich
Junior Poster

Post by bodgitostrich »

the cable arrived today, about 18 all tolled, i prefer to have the choke running properly, it's better for the oil pressure and inevitably the main bearings... Phil