Toluene

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bodgitostrich
Junior Poster
Year: 0

Toluene

Post by bodgitostrich »

Anyone out there know how to get hold of any toluene? 112 RON, used in the 1970's but was banned due to being highly carcinogenic, more so than benzene...

apparently it's 25p per litre.. normally found in paint thinners.

Phil

terry
Senior Poster

Post by terry »

Sorry to disagree, but I don't think toluene is as carcinogenic as benzene.
If the body absorbs benzene in huge quantities, it will eventually give rise to a form of anaemia /leukemia. Most of the time the body will convert the C6H6 of benzene to Phenol C6H5-OH, this is really soluble and you p*ss it out really easily. toluene is even easier to get rid of.

The trouble with getting hold of toluene will be what else is in it, unless it is pure, it'll have some benzene and Xylene in it, thinners will have a lot of cheaper solvents as well.

Anyway that's the chemistry lesson out the way, I assume you want to use it as an anti-knock agent, that's all they did with unleaded, removed the lead and raised the levels of aromatic solvents.

Unless you have a contact, it may be quite difficult to buy it as a member of the public, As lead tetra ethyl was, but it does work.

I used to run an MZ 250 bike in '70s, adding the two stroke oil with a drop of toluene,as all other MZ's rattled, it sounded really good. I sold it with a full tank of fuel, but when this was used it probably rattled like all the others.

Not sure I'd like to risk messing with it in a 912 engine though, manufactures of the bottled stuff, (Wynns etc.), have spent a lot of money in research to avoid getting sued!!!!

TeranceDickson
Unverified Poster
Year: 0

hmm, Toluene -

Post by TeranceDickson »

Probably a bit late to add this but here's a word or two.

We use toluene as a fast-evaporating carrier for staining urethane composites. We buy it in 205 litre drums and as you'll have guessed we get a decent price deal from Hays and Ellis and Everard. BUT we have had to establish bona fides as the dreaded Revenue and Customs demand records form the suppliers of where they sell it.

If you are commited to obtaining small supplies, go thorugh a laboratory supplies firm who will repackage in smaller quantities.

Terry Dickson