Water pump - how reliable

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

marky
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: white
Year: 1987

Water pump - how reliable

Post by marky »

How reliable are the water pumps on these engines?

I remember on my old elan the water pump went twice in two years! The excel is better in every way except the brakes which were awesome on the elan and crap on the excel!.

Is it worth replacing it as a precaution? Will I get any warning signs if it is on its way out? ( it used to go suddenly on the elan)

Mark.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Re: Water pump - how reliable

Post by AndyC »

You may get a level of warning of imminent failure as you'll get a loss through the drain holes but from then until water gushing is not something you measure in months or thousands of miles.
If it all looks OK (no residue of water having been slowly weeping out) then I'd say leave it.

marky
Senior Poster

Post by marky »

yes - water level never drops in the header tank and no sign of anything from the drain holes. Just a little nervous as the car is 25yrs old and because of my past experience with the 1973 elan +2.

I guess the water pumps must have improved in 14 years of lotus production even if the brakes didn't!!

Mark.

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

Brakes, been covered quite a lot.
There's a simple improvement over most brakes- clean / refurb and then use the Mintex pads.
I'm putting 4 pot callipers on from a Nissan, Peugeot discs, small amount of machining but it makes a massive difference, cost circa £200 - £250.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow

Post by fueltheburn »

The pumps are best to be re-built every couple of cambelt changes assuming the car has not been sat for an extended period of time as the seals can stick and have been known to tear when the pump first starts again.
The one thing that keeps an excel in good condition is regular use - they get grumpy when left for extended periods.

Lotusbits do a re-build kit for the waterpump or they will re-build it for you for a small fee.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Colour: Suzuki Yellow

Post by fueltheburn »

AndyC wrote:Brakes, been covered quite a lot.
There's a simple improvement over most brakes- clean / refurb and then use the Mintex pads.
I'm putting 4 pot callipers on from a Nissan, Peugeot discs, small amount of machining but it makes a massive difference, cost circa £200 - £250.

Technical article and full photos required when carrying this out :D

marky
Senior Poster

Post by marky »

Thanks for the advice chaps. I use my car every week on sundays often wednesday eve as well. I run it about 50 or 60 miles sundays and about 12 miles on wednesday - also took it holiday to norfolk a few weeks ago. Have noticed that it is running better and better with use.
Previous owner had it garaged for 15 years with hardly any use.

Interested in upgrading the brakes when I can afford to. Have not had the car long and there has been a lot of initial expense - new clutch, radiator refurb, new oil cooler and hoses, new cooling fans and many other parts to get it up to a good standard. Need to recover financially before I upgrade brakes! Also trying to think ahead to prevent any breakdowns hence the concern over the water pump. Also wondering about the alternator.

Mark.

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

When holidaying in Norfolk you could have had a look at the upgraded brakes and driven the gold car with them on to compare, never mind.

marky
Senior Poster

Post by marky »

Thanks - thats very good of you and if I was going to Norfolk now would definitely take you up on it.

At the time I was worried about reliability as it was my first long trip (over 3 hours each way) and took loads of spare electrical parts and full tool kit with me. However the car was completely reliable and started and ran perfectly for the whole holiday.

Mark.

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

marky wrote:Thanks - thats very good of you and if I was going to Norfolk now would definitely take you up on it.

At the time I was worried about reliability as it was my first long trip (over 3 hours each way) and took loads of spare electrical parts and full tool kit with me. However the car was completely reliable and started and ran perfectly for the whole holiday.

Mark.
Over 100k miles on my water pump since I got the car. It hasn't shown any signs of unreliability for me. As far as I know, it's still the original so has done around 166k miles in total.

(it will now fail in spectacular fashion during the Croft weekend, of course).
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

marky
Senior Poster

Post by marky »

Thats what I was hoping to hear!!

I am gradually feeling my way with all this - got the car in Dec 2012 - absolutely love the car - best car I have ever had.

My aim is to get it as reliable as possible - I reckon it has done around 70K which is not a lot but it is 25 yrs old so I have concerns about things like alternator, head gasket etc. Igniton and fuel sytem is all sorted as are all the belts. Not worried about the rest only things that can cause breakdowns. I am not into breakdowns!!

Mark.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

The only breakdown I've had in 10 years of ownership was with the fuel pump. It has contact breakers, and these fail.
A simple, easy to fit electronic replacement is available from Burlen. (http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spare ... -kits.html)

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

To be fare I have had many breakdowns but after 200k+ miles no issues with the water pump
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

marky
Senior Poster

Post by marky »

Thanks to all -

It seems that the water pump is generally very reliable but I will keep the fuel pump in mind - conversion kit sounds like a good idea.

Mark.

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

MrCoolA wrote:To be fare I have had many breakdowns but after 200k+ miles no issues with the water pump

He has. Many, MANY, breakdowns. Far more than usual for a 3-wheeler.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!