Handbrake Shoes

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Handbrake Shoes

Post by Jason.goad »

Hello everyone. I'm just about to start the task of removing the handbrake shoes as part of a rear suspension overhaul. I took the rear discs off last night and decided to call it a day (ended up the pub, so good call). The system looks somewhat over complicated, coupled with a lack of space. Has anyone got any pointers or is it easier than it looks. I have a large stash of pound coins ready for the swear box. :wink:

marky
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: white
Year: 1987

Re: Handbrake Shoes

Post by marky »

It's not as bad as it looks - if you have changed brake shoes in the past it is the same process the only awkward part is releasing the hand brake cable from the shoe - there is a special spring clip which is very stiff and difficult to get off.

This kit is not an exact match but contains most of the parts you need and if you damage one of the clips they are in the kit.

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/#!/part/BSF0810

I think I released the shoes from the back plate first - just press and twist on the circular clip with a pair of pliers either side of the central pin - then the tension is reduced on the rest of the springs which can be removed more easily. Take lots of photo's so you can get the springs back in the right place. It's hard to remember but I think I assembled the shoes and put the main bottom spring in place before fixing them to the back plate. Then re-fitted the top springs which are a tight fit - I used the old springs for the top because the new ones were too tight. Obviously - you will have to release tension on the handbrake cable by the lever before starting this. Before fitting the new shoes - free up the adjusters that go at the bottom of the shoes and adjust them back as far as they will go.

Mark.

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Re: Handbrake Shoes

Post by Jason.goad »

Thanks for the advice Mark.
J