Parking Brake Question

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Excel Jeff
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1984

Parking Brake Question

Post by Excel Jeff »

Hi All, Trying to ship my car out to the United States, and have failed twice now, because the parking brake does not hold strong enough in reverse. After the first failure, I took the car to my local garage, since all my tools are packed and shipped already, and they fitted new shoes. The brakes however still failed in reverse. They hold fine going forward, just not when they place the car in reverse and force the car back with the motor at 1000 rpm. Is there any way of adjusting so that they will work better in reverse?
Jeff

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Parking Brake Question

Post by bash »

You probably dont want to hear this but the new shoes could be the problem, they need a bit of bedding in sometimes. Although they dont dont anything in normal driving I have had to drive with the handbrake slightly appplied to get them to work properly in the past. But, dont despair, all you need is to take the wheel off and all you need is a flat blade screwdriver, adjust them as tight as you can get away with cos you can back them off again at the other side of the pond. hope this helps.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.