Main fuel pipe

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

v8 fou
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE V8
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Main fuel pipe

Post by v8 fou »

Just wondering what the general opinion of the stock plastic fuel line is. I have already run an extra line for the return (injection) - just wondered if anyone has replaced the fuel line with either modern plastic pipe or perhaps copper?
Many thanks

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Main fuel pipe

Post by Pete Boole »

I've used stainless braided convoluted PTFE for fuel (have a look at Think Automotive's site). I don't like copper - it work hardens with vibration, and I definitely would not keep the original plastic.

Pete

v8 fou
Junior Poster

Post by v8 fou »

I share your dislike for copper. How did you route the pipe? I guess it would be quite a task to follow the original routing?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

My fuel line runs on the inside of the transmission tunnel - on the passenger side - clamped on using "P" clips. This can only be done with the engine/gearbox/prop shaft out. My pressure reg. is in the boot, so only a single hose to the front of the car and onto the fuel rails. The hose passes through holes in the "end plates" at the forward and rearward ends of the parallel section of the central chassis section: This is at the front:

Pete

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

Pure copper work hardens but the cupro-nickel alloy doesn't suffer in the same way, or not to the same extent.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

Why the concern with work hardening ? I use copper for hp pipes and then nitrile for any thing that requires flexing. I'm sure most of us use cooper brake pipes and rubber for the flexi area
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green

Post by AndyC »

Once the copper pipe hardens it becomes prone to fracturing if not supported enough (too far between supports), vibrations occurring in the car can cause the pipes to weaken.

v8 fou
Junior Poster

Post by v8 fou »

I think I'll put the reg in the boot too. Makes sense, so only one line.
Incidentally, copper brake pipe is illegal in the US.
Better to use cupro-nickel. Easy comparison is to see how many times you can bend a piece of copper pipe before it breaks, then try the same with cupro-nickel. That will do about 10X more flexes.
Thanks for everyone's input.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster

Post by MrCoolA »

AndyC wrote:Once the copper pipe hardens it becomes prone to fracturing if not supported enough (too far between supports), vibrations occurring in the car can cause the pipes to weaken.
I think the solution is in your post, good support . I think of all the things to be concerned about on a car then copper pipes ain't the one I'd me spending my time worrying about.
Now "Black Flag"

MrCoolA
Senior Poster

Post by MrCoolA »

v8 fou wrote:I think I'll put the reg in the boot too. Makes sense, so only one line.
Incidentally, copper brake pipe is illegal in the US.
Better to use cupro-nickel. Easy comparison is to see how many times you can bend a piece of copper pipe before it breaks, then try the same with cupro-nickel. That will do about 10X more flexes.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Properly supported and flex pipes where required and then no issues, easier to bend as well. Not denying that cupro nickel isn't better but doesn't mean copper is crap. There are literally 100 of thousands cars running about in the uk using it. Better off worrying about what your cambelt is made of than the fuel pipes. As I have found out.
Now "Black Flag"