wiper motor

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Re: wiper motor

Post by Tanz »

KevW wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 18:02
Phantasm wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 00:24
Also there is a seady bracket wiper wheelbox A010 with a screw and washer. This too was not in my assembly, and can't imagine how it could be installed/removed even with the HVAC removed. I take it this isn't needed because the bundy is short and does this job?
Well after looking at the Excel parts manual I think my car must have the steady bracket Bill mentions.

With the motor free from its bracket and able to be moved around inside the dash the spindle on my car is showing no signs of wanting to drop back inside the car and is rock solid in its position. I've even tried tapping it in with a hammer and wooden block to no avail. It really does feel as if it is fastened to something made from metal beneath the scuttle. As there is no way I can get to this area I'm going to leave the spindle in place. I've ordered a new 29W motor brush set and will try to fit it with the motor still attached and inside the dash. I think it will be fiddly but do-able.
Just thought I would add the diagram for anyone else in the future who reads this thread

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Re: wiper motor

Post by KevW »

Stripped the motor down again. It appears when I reassembled it I'd left the end of the armature shaft sitting on rather than in the pronged bearing/cradle on the motor end cap. This had moved the whole motor shaft up a couple of mm and caused excessive wear on the new brushes I'd fitted. A replacement brush set was fitted and all is working as it should now. Thanks to everyone for their input
Kev W no.282