Screeching heater fan!

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Steve C
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Screeching heater fan!

Post by Steve C »

I think the remaining life of my heater fan can be counted in minutes - it is emitting a very loud screeching noise, as if it is about to seize up and blow a fuse.

Has anybody ever changed one of these? Did Lotus build the car around it? ie. Is it a full dash out job? Is this how she thanks me for filling her up with around 6 litres of Mobil 1???

My car is a 1990 car with AC.

:(

Peter
Senior Poster

Post by Peter »

The diagrams i have seem to indicate the blower unit is positioned on the left hand side under/behind the glovebox (in the footwell)
There must be some kind of access on the left side footwell i'd be amazed if you had to remove the whole dash.
But then knowing lotus.....

Peter
Senior Poster

Post by Peter »

The diagrams i have seem to indicate the blower unit is positioned on the left hand side under/behind the glovebox (in the footwell)
There must be some kind of access on the left side footwell i'd be amazed if you had to remove the whole dash.
But then knowing lotus.....

bear
Verified Poster

Post by bear »

The fan motor is held in with 3 m6 nuts up in the passenger footwell behind the dash ,you can remove it with the dash in place but you will need a socket and an extension bar and then remove the fan motor and impelor.
The one in my car also screached and the brass bushing had siezed onto the motor shaft and was turning in the mounting so after a lot of wd40 and a coating of light grease on the motor shaft the problem was solved and it has been okay for the last two years .
total time allow 1-2 hours and a few lost knuckles
hope this helps K :)

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

And don't forget, ther is an access panel at the back of the glove box, four screws and the whole back panel of the glove box comes out, might improve access

Robert
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

Thanks for the hints .. I've had a quick look and it seems that the unit in my car (1990 SE with AC) is identical to a Mk 3 Supra (86-92) ...

New replacements are only around $60 in the US and I'm visiting in january so may pick one up on holiday! Failing that, a Mk3 Supra must be pretty easy to find in a scrapyard.

The siezed bush sounds very much like my problem!

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

bear wrote: The one in my car also screached and the brass bushing had siezed onto the motor shaft and was turning in the mounting so after a lot of wd40 and a coating of light grease on the motor shaft the problem was solved and it has been okay for the last two years .
total time allow 1-2 hours and a few lost knuckles
hope this helps K :)
Yep, just fixed it, the lower bush was seized to the motor shaft ... I freed it up, cleaned everything and oiled the bush and absorbant pad with Mobil 1. It runs nice and smoothly now, except that the lowest fan speed still doesn't work ... I imagine the resistor block has a problem - a common problem with the donor Supras!

I need to evolve another joint between wrist and elbow!

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

Anyone know where the resistor block is for the heater blower? Neither the workshop manual or parts manual give any hints!

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Yes I'd like to know where this is too. My fan only operates at two speeds, low and hang on to your hat. All intermediate positions are low speed as well

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

My Supra owning friend says it is in the inlet trunking on his car - so that the flow of air cools the exposed coils of the resistor pack. I'm hoping that removing the back of the glovebox will gain access but this is pure speculation and would be far too easy to be correct!

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

Another possibility is that the switch contacts get dirty. When I tried the fan settings in my car for the first time in over a year, a couple of the speeds did not work. My heart sank as I thought I would have to dismantle half the dashboard to find the problem. More out of desperation than anything else, I started to move the slider through the various positions. I was very surprised and pleased when after a few cycles, all the speeds started to work as normal.

I also found once that a dodgy earth connection on the offside engine mount caused one of the speed settings not to work. Except I didn't realise I had a dodgy earth for several months until it deteriorated to the point when I had engine starting problems. Fixing the starting also fixed the heater fan speeds, much to my surprise.

PS Steve , do you have details of the dim-dip bypass mod?
Thanks
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

The Haynes Supra Manual shows this (but on a RHD Supra) on pages 3-8 and 3-9 and yes the resistor is indeed located in the ducting between blower unit and heater core. The part is actually shown in the manual and the numbers on it are 87138-24010.

Excellent, can finally get the heater fan speeds sorted......

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

Just curious - Which Haynes Supra manual are you using, or would advise?
I looked on Amazon and they list 5 different haynes manuals for the Supra.

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

I got mine on ebay, blue cover, number 92025. Published in 1992, covers all models, however only the Mk 2 info is relevant

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster

Post by Ozzy_UK »

out of curiosity is there a haynes manual for the Excel?
if not where do you guys get your technical manuals from?

and where can i get a copy... being a new owner, have always have haynes manuals for every other car i have owned...

Cheers!

Oz.
Oran Maliphant
---------------------------------------
Mercedes B250e “Tesla” 2015
MGF 1.8i Steptronic CVT 2001
Honda Civic Type R EP3 2004
Volvo V70 T5 2002
Lotus Excel 4.0l V8 1987 #2470