headlights pop up when key is removed!!!!!

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

chiefbrodie
Junior Poster

headlights pop up when key is removed!!!!!

Post by chiefbrodie »

My brain is now frazzled and reaching out to you guys to see if anyone has had a similar experience!
I have a 87 SE and when I take the key out, the headlights pop up (just pods, no lights).
They can pop up straight away or anywhere up to 30 seconds later.
I've replaced a few of relays (inc. headlamp relay) but it makes no difference.
if I remove the headlamp relay whilst the key is out then the pods will retract.
At my wits end now and would be v grateful for any input

Thanks guys

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Re: headlights pop up when key is removed!!!!!

Post by amarshall »

Is it really when you take the key out, or is it when you turn the key to the off position?
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

chiefbrodie
Junior Poster

Post by chiefbrodie »

amarshall wrote:Is it really when you take the key out, or is it when you turn the key to the off position?
Yeah, should have made that clear. When the key is in the off position (ie when you press the black key release button and then turn the key the final turn to remove)

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

OK - first step has to be a check that all relays are the correct type. Not all of them are changeover, some are double circuit (1 in, 2 out), single throw. Also check that they're free of corrosion and water.

Then you're into looking carefully at earth points before starting to think about shorts near the steering column or around the few relays that are energised when the ignition circuit is off.
SORN - just say NO!

chiefbrodie
Junior Poster

Post by chiefbrodie »

amarshall wrote:OK - first step has to be a check that all relays are the correct type. Not all of them are changeover, some are double circuit (1 in, 2 out), single throw. Also check that they're free of corrosion and water.

Then you're into looking carefully at earth points before starting to think about shorts near the steering column or around the few relays that are energised when the ignition circuit is off.
Ok, when I remove the headlamp relay (ignition circuit off) then the pods retract, and vice versa.
It appears to be a 40 amp changeover relay which appears correct according to the manual.
I’ve swapped it around with other relays of the same type but the fault persists.
What’s really weird is that sometimes it pops up instantly and sometimes it’s sround 20 seconds after the key is out?

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Does your car have a dim dip module?

Things that cause pods to rise and stay up:

1) headlamps on
2) sidelight on signal being sent to dim-dip module - or faulty dim-dip module.
3) column switch in valet position and lights flashed

Something must be generating a signal to start the lift process. My first port of call for anything weird in the electrical system is always damp/corrosion in a relay. Once that's eliminated it's other sources of voltage which could be leaking into the wrong circuit.
SORN - just say NO!

chiefbrodie
Junior Poster

Post by chiefbrodie »

amarshall wrote:Does your car have a dim dip module?

Things that cause pods to rise and stay up:

1) headlamps on
2) sidelight on signal being sent to dim-dip module - or faulty dim-dip module.
3) column switch in valet position and lights flashed

Something must be generating a signal to start the lift process. My first port of call for anything weird in the electrical system is always damp/corrosion in a relay. Once that's eliminated it's other sources of voltage which could be leaking into the wrong circuit.
Yeah, it has the dim - dip module.
I have removed all relays, opened and cleaned them. Bench tested them with 12 volts and all appear ok, All relay holder been checked and sprayed with contact cleaner. The relays do not match what is in the manual but given that everything worked ok before I guess that's ok!
I tried removing the relays for the dim - dip control but they still pop up.
The manual shows 3 relays in the passenger footwell but my car has 5! not sure what the other 2 do.

I've had to remove the drivers seat to stop me getting claustrophobia in there and I think I'm getting high on contact cleaner :shock:

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

chiefbrodie wrote: The relays do not match what is in the manual but given that everything worked ok before I guess that's ok!
I tried removing the relays for the dim - dip control but they still pop up.
The manual shows 3 relays in the passenger footwell but my car has 5! not sure what the other 2 do.
Uh oh. Alarm or immobiliser fitted?

Let's start with the easy one - unplug the dim dip module and see what happens. If they still pop up then it's something on the main headlamp circuit or the column switch itself. If they don't it's something related to dim-dip.
SORN - just say NO!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Just a thought, and it may be way off the mark, but as it sometimes happens after 20 seconds, could it have anything to do with the interior light delay?

Tanz
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I had the same problem. Turned out to be water in the relay. Sounds like you have already covered that one but here is the link to the thread if it helps

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9237&hilit=head+lights
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

chiefbrodie
Junior Poster

Post by chiefbrodie »

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.
Embarrassed to admit it but it turned out to be a corroded fuse terminal, I am usually telling everyone that they cant be trusted if if you pull them and check and check for continuity but you have to check the connection is ok as well.
Fuse was good and clean but wasn't making a good connection :oops:

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

Hi.
At least you have admitted your oversight and found the fault, and by posting it on here might help someone
in the future if they have a similar problem and then they can fix it in quick time.

So good on you.

Ian.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Exactly. Anything for a KISS. 8)
Peter K