Mystery engine bay connector

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

gusexcel
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1987

Mystery engine bay connector

Post by gusexcel »

87 SE

Under the airbox, near ignition box, wrapped in tape

have to get out again and check the wire colors

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Mystery engine bay connector

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

gusexcel wrote:87 SE

Under the airbox, near ignition box, wrapped in tape

have to get out again and check the wire colors
Probably someone has disconnected the rev limiter (RL).

The RL breaks down and causes all sorts of running problems. BUT you DO need an RL. If you over rev a 900 series engine you will bend valves.

Best solution is a NOS Lotus RL but if that is impossible - then fit an after market RL like the OMEX CLUBMAN. I have used an OMEX CLUBMAN RL and can vouch for their superiority. Others on here have fitted OMEX RLs too and have no complaints.
Peter K

gusexcel
Junior Poster
Year: 1987

Post by gusexcel »

Imagepic of the connector

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:The RL breaks down and causes all sorts of running problems. BUT you DO need an RL. If you over rev a 900 series engine you will bend valves.
Peter,
I don't know about that. There's a little 'oops' over-rev, and there's seriously over-revving it. As long as the timing belt doesn't skip timing, valve float isn't going to be an issue until a stratospheric over-rev occurs. Well beyond a little oops.

We never got the 912 on this side of the pond, just 907s & 910s; but I'm not aware of anything about the 912 or it's cams & valve springs that would make it more sensitive to over-revving. I used to autocross my '79 Eclat (104 cams) and '80 Esprit S2, and both saw the full-throttle high side of redline on many occassions. The Esprit's engine is a 2.2-converted 907 with stock rods, a ported head, DS2 cams (a step hotter than the 104), and headers, and I've taken it to 8500 rpm without so much as a hiccup.

I'm not discounting the importance of the rev limiter or recommending that anyone tempt fate. If the rev limiter works, use it. But if it doesn't work, I wouldn't get too paranoid about it.

If I'm missing something unique about the 912, please let me know. I'm always into learning.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Hello Tim

I'm recalling a couple of incidents of loose foot well carpets getting under the accelerator pedal and sticking it wide open with no rev limiter resulted in a top end overall IIRC. Obviously this is a serious over rev - I don't know how much over.

I've not experienced this myself. Pretty sure it was Jerry on here that had the worst outcome.

My factory rev limiter goes to 7000 rpm (some say theirs are set around 6500rpm IIRC) and I've been up there lots (momentary) with no ill effects.

Controlling the revs when driving is OK without a RL - but it's those stuck WOT moments (eg carpets) that do the damage without a rev limiter. :(
Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Hello Tim

I'm recalling a couple of incidents of loose foot well carpets getting under the accelerator pedal and sticking it wide open with no rev limiter resulted in a top end overall IIRC. Obviously this is a serious over rev - I don't know how much over. :(
Done the carpet thing but RL was fitted. Fortunately I was on a dual carriageway and was able to squeeze past the leading traffic before turning ignition off and coasting to a halt 2 miles down the road!

Also fortuitous was it was an autobox and it just wanted to drive rather than over rev. RL may have kicked in but I was too busy at the time to notice.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

If the Rev Limiter is disconnected you will know, spin the engine.
The other electrical fiddling we find is the installation of theft devices, normally post factory so often an Amatuer fix, but a damn nuisance to try and unravel as you can be left with a dud start.

Dave the cog.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Disconnected wires in that region might also be the purge pump - a small air pump that sucks hot air out of the air filter box, which helps if you need to restart a still-hot engine.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

That looks like a non standard connector to me, I dont recognise it at all.

Bash
Welcome by the way, keep us infomed of your progress.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

bash wrote:That looks like a non standard connector to me, I dont recognise it at all.

Bash
Welcome by the way, keep us infomed of your progress.
I concur with m'learned colleague. That does not look like something that was fitted in Norfolk.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Gus, you have us all on tiptoes wondering what your connector is and the cable colo(u)rs.
Next time down there try disconnecting the connector and see what happens, actually what does NOT happen.

Dave the cog.

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by Phantasm »

Looks like it matches the one on mine. I believe that is the Rev limiter next to the AB 14? Correct?

-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

Rev limiter is usually further forward and lower down, with just 3 wires going to it from the splice that also feeds the rev counter.

Could that be the engine speed sensor for the throttle jack? The wiring colours look right for it. (rev limiter should have white, white/slate and black only)

I think I'll retract my previous statement and go with a connector for the speed sensor for the throttle jack.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!